Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2 stroke or 4 stroke

I was told by anglers marine that you cant buy a new 2 stroke in cali anymore :shock:

Default Wrong

That is false information. You can buy a two stroke direct injected. I know, cause I did it and it was and is waaay better than any 4-stroke in my opinion. I got a 90hp Tohatsu TLDI 2-stroke direct injected, with a 3 star rating for the CARB rating. Awesome fuel enconomy and it runs awesome. Reliable too. I run the heck outta my engine. From California to Utah to Ontario Canada and in Lake Michigan. Tohatsu / Nissan makes an awesome reliable engine.

yea you can buy them my dad just got a new tracker with the 2 stoke opti max mercury direct fuel injected 115hp.. awesome engine

I own a 1990 Suzuki two stroke oil injection. Granted it is only 8 horsepower, but this thing neither guzzles gas nor does it guzzle oil. In fact, I fish with it on average once a week, with the motor running 3 hours each time. It took me a whole year to use up a gallon of 2 stroke oil I bought from Wal-Mart for ten bucks. Echoing what others have already stated, the newer two strokes are even more efficient and run even cleaner, so don't limit yourself when you are shopping for a motor. At the end of the day, you will buy what you think is best for you in your opinion, but it is always wise to form that opinion based upon facts.

Default 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

You can buy a new Direct Injected 2 stroke outboard in Calif. In fact in some model Mercury's like the 75-115 they are actually more fuel effecient than the 4 stroke of the same horsepower. Both are 3 star rated. Here is what I recommend to all customers. Get a 4 stroke if
    1-Offshore Saltwater is your application. Speed does not matter.
    2-Pontoon boat, nice and quiet.
    3- Small fishing boat under 60hp.
    All other applications get a DI 2-stroke, faster, will get on plane faster with better holeshot, meets all CARB emmissions standards and in most applications gets BETTER fuel economy. All motors brought into the State after Jan. 1, 2008 must meet 3 star ratings. Thats just what the MFG'S can sell us a dealer, not what you can still buy and use. 2-3 star is more than Ok at all our lakes including DVL. What you cannot and havenot been able to bring into Calif. since 2001 is Carburated and EFI 1 star rated motors. Hope this clears things up. Rick G.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234