Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishin 101

Default Fishin 101

First of all let me remind everyone that i just began fishing so it might some dumb but whats the best way to know when i get a bite. I usually put a bobber n it works well but at times it makes things difficult (it tangles my line when i rush to set the hook or other times i arrive to late to set the hook n the bobber hits the rod n i loose the fish) i use a c-rig so do i need a bobber? (there has been instances when i got my back turned n i hear reel screaming.) thx any tips would be helpful.

depends on what you are fishing for.. and how u want to use that bobber..

for bass.. you'll need to be holding ur rod and reel about 99% of the time... you'll feel that *tick and get ready to set...

catfish, trout, etc.. they range... do a little more research on google and i'm sure you'll find some good info.

forget the bobber. like you said it gets in the way. the best way is to keep ahold of your pole till you feel it getting hit. you can feel the fish barely messing with your bait until it swallows it completely. this way you can set the hook when you feel is right. this is how i fish striper at night. with frozen bait at least. if your using more than one pole other good ways are the clip on bells that jingle when you get a hit or the clip on glow sticks. both clip onto the tip of your pole.

also instead of a bobber try putting a lure or jig or something like that about 3 or 4 eyes down from the top of your pole (depending on how big your pole is, generally about in the middle of your pole or a lil closer to the top) and just put the hook around the line and let it hang from your pole..when i fish takes the bait the lure will rise upand normally falls to the ground when you set the hook...hope that made sence

Default 2 rods

I fish w two rods one set up w pb n the other w n/c. Thats why i be using the bobber hanging from my line between the eyes of my rod. Fishing for trout (didnt know it mad a difference). I hear the drag of my reel once the fish has taken of with my bait thats why im guessing i dont need the bobber.ALSO HOW DO YOU SET THE HOOK WHEN ALL THE EXCESS LINE IS HANGING FROM WHERE THE BOBBER WAS. Thx for the tips
    Last edited by bigblue; 01-13-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt duarte View Post
    also instead of a bobber try putting a lure or jig or something like that about 3 or 4 eyes down from the top of your pole (depending on how big your pole is, generally about in the middle of your pole or a lil closer to the top) and just put the hook around the line and let it hang from your pole..when i fish takes the bait the lure will rise upand normally falls to the ground when you set the hook...hope that made sence
    I tried that with a hudd and can assure you that doesn't work...LOL.

I use a bobber attached to a paper clip. I form the paper clip like the one pictured below. I attach the bobber on the enclosed loop and the hook end hangs on the fishing line. When I get a bite, a quick snap of the rod and my nifty strike detector falls to the ground.

Don't stay to far away from the rods. That will eliminate your problem. When the bobber starts going up, you are there to remove the bobber, reel in the slack line, let the line tightens up, and then set the hook....

dont hang anything from your line!!! especially lures with barbed hooks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    First of all let me remind everyone that i just began fishing so it might some dumb but whats the best way to know when i get a bite. I usually put a bobber n it works well but at times it makes things difficult (it tangles my line when i rush to set the hook or other times i arrive to late to set the hook n the bobber hits the rod n i loose the fish) i use a c-rig so do i need a bobber? (there has been instances when i got my back turned n i hear reel screaming.) thx any tips would be helpful.
    Maybe you should start fishing with other people. Learn their ways, ask questions, and see what works for you.
    Everyone fishes differently as you can tell.
    Last edited by smokinflies; 01-14-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast