Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gary's Beer Battered Striped Bass

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    I'll bring apple cobbler and some vanilla ice cream for dessert!

I think I am going to try this recipe on some catfish fillets tonight.....

TD
    Trolly tells me soaking the catfish fillet in milk for 1-2 hrs helps remove the gamier flavor, I might suggest adding that to the process if ur cooking kitties....I usually do the kitties in corn meal, thats how I've found them best cause that reduces the gamy flavor but I havent tried Trolly's suggestion about the milk yet, I suppose if the milk could take the gamy taste from it the regular beer batter would really rock....

Thats something I think ur gonna just have to try...

Maybe I suggest try a little of both...some soaked in milk and some not...that will give you a definitive conclusion on the milk soak process..

food for thought...

This recipe works for any fish. No need to pre soak catfish unless they seem to be older catfish. I like to roll the fillets in a little of the dry mix before dipping in the batter. Makes a little more batter stick to the fish. Thanks for the recipe Gary. I always love the flavor of the Bay seasoning with added garlic. Personally, I like to add a genorous amount of cayanne pepper too.

Damn sounds good. They didnt have the beer batter one only Fish N Chips. Is there a big difference? Can I just substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by eddie33081 View Post
    Damn sounds good. They didnt have the beer batter one only Fish N Chips. Is there a big difference? Can I just substitute?
    Not the same unfortunately, that will be good but nowhere near the same..

I know that brand is hard to find but trust me, it's worth it.

By all means use the other in the interim, in fact any others when the Mccormicks is not available but try to find the one I mention, it is the best I've found to date.

I've also been adding about 1/3rds of Don Cache's Cajun fish fry to it as well, that makes the batter a bit more crispy but it is not spicy.

Don't give up....keep looking, it's worth it !

Ooohh im gonna try this with my frozen corbinas

It is great.. NohoFart cooked some up with Geordy bass and pops at the striperfest...Gary had mixed the batter first..

Trailblazer gourged hiself in celebration that night. I did too

I used this recipe and it was quite good even though I used water in lieu of beer since my daughter didn't like the smell of the beer. I also added some cayenne pepper to spice it up a bit.

I'm not a big beer person myself but I'm gonna have to give this a try, looks tasty!

Wow now I hungry. Those look great. With a cold one the world would be right, well until you ran out.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    Wow now I hungry. Those look great. With a cold one the world would be right, well until you ran out.
    If U run out...it's then up to U to go catch and cook MORE...

Then the world would be complete again : )

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast