Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catching Crawfish

Default Catching Crawfish

I have some crawfish traps... I know it's not the season, but can you still catch maybe just a few crawfish in traps in the winter time? Or is it not even worth trying cause you won't get anything? I'll be down at a lake in San Diego.

I've done it at night during winter.

Wont hurt to set em up and let them soak.

Goodluck!

Alright if you've done it I'll go for it. I just didn't want to be wasting bait and effort if there was no chance of getting anything.

As long as the water temp is warm enough to keep them active, you should be able to get some year round. It's been warm lately so I would think that they are active now.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    I have some crawfish traps... I know it's not the season, but can you still catch maybe just a few crawfish in traps in the winter time? Or is it not even worth trying cause you won't get anything? I'll be down at a lake in San Diego.
    my buddy just pulled a dozen from a lake in the mountains surrounded by snow with a water temp of 49 degrees. It might be a little better in san diego

Ah Mud Bugs .. Love those things. Whats the best bait ? We used to use bologna or hot dogs. They are better eating in the cooler water if you can find em.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    my buddy just pulled a dozen from a lake in the mountains surrounded by snow with a water temp of 49 degrees. It might be a little better in san diego
    That's really good to hear. I'll let you know how many I pull out

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    Ah Mud Bugs .. Love those things. Whats the best bait ? We used to use bologna or hot dogs. They are better eating in the cooler water if you can find em.
    i've used trout guts and that worked. i've used salmon and that worked too. but i've heard catfood, hot dogs, and all kinds of other things work too. i honestly think as long as it gives off good scent they'll show up. these things have been on this earth for a looooong time and i don't think they survived this long by being picky eaters... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    Lots of baits, but I've used mackeral for lots of bugs.

Japo

get some cheap (more stinky) catfood and punch some holes all over the can; top and bottom

that always worked for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast