Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: finally i got a swimbait setup!!! =]

alright seriously. five pages of posts about how its not a good idea and your still rejecting it? i mean by all means go out there and do it if you want. i know its cool that you got your first swimbait setup and your stoked to try it but come on, listen to experience. im not saying that i personally know what is best for you and your fishing but guys like matt duarte who i have been reading swimbait posts for some time now are giving you some good advice. do what you will, im sure you will go out there toss the thing and love the distance you get but when it comes to actually handling fish or hell even getting the bait unstuck you might have some major issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jbassc View Post
    yes it was sesgia is the only fat asian guy who works a richards.
    umm i didnt say hes fat

Quote Originally Posted by FishermanStu View Post
    alright seriously. five pages of posts about how its not a good idea and your still rejecting it? i mean by all means go out there and do it if you want. i know its cool that you got your first swimbait setup and your stoked to try it but come on, listen to experience. im not saying that i personally know what is best for you and your fishing but guys like matt duarte who i have been reading swimbait posts for some time now are giving you some good advice. do what you will, im sure you will go out there toss the thing and love the distance you get but when it comes to actually handling fish or hell even getting the bait unstuck you might have some major issues.
    Since it appears that you wont take the advice offered to you here, good advice that I agree with by the way. Let me try to make the best out of the situation..

1. I will try and stick with the cheap swimbaits. $15 and under, you will lose a lot more swimbaits lures using that setup. yeah sure they might not swim as nice as the high priced ones but there is a snowballs chance you can catch fish on them. may I suggest the LA slider. cheap but effective sometimes. remember its not the bait, its where you throw them that matters..

2. stock up on line.. you will be changing line ont hat thing quite a bit, maybe once very coupe of trips. as what already has been said, heavy line is more susceptible to line twist than their lighter counterparts.

3. buy some gloves!! holding that line while trying to cast the heavy swimbait lures will destroy your finger. get some extra protection..

I just hope that you dont give up on swimbaits jsut because your first attempts at it were difficult, and you do have a more difficult time n front of you with that set-up than most.

Last but not the least, bring someone more knowledgeable with you next time you decide to invest in some gear. It really doesnt matter how much you spend as long as you get exactly what you need for your style of fishing.

And just to add, one thing not mentioned here is if / and when you actually do get a bite and it sticks.. you dont play swimbait fish, you kindda try to winch them in to keep those hooks embedded as it is easy for the fish to throw these baits due to their weight. this is where the baitcaster shines most as inherently by design, spinning reels CANT "winch" fish in. good luck to you and your ventures, hope you make good use of that set-up..

XS.. Shame on you Richards tackle!!

Why would you hustle a kid Sesgia? Thats ****ed up.

Lots of great advise lilmystery,

Remember that the test of time is what it's all about. On this site you can advance your learning curve by leaps and bounds. Please take the time to absorb the info these guys are giving you. I am not a swimbait guy, but what is being shared with you makes a lot of sense. If you can avoid the pain of spending time creating unproductive time on the water you will benefit greatly. Bass fishing is a lifelong process and shortening the curve will make it much more enjoyable. As someone posted earlier, we can tell that you have a lot of heart, don't stunt your growth by doing the square peg round hole thing. I'm not stating that you are doing the wrong thing, but you are getting some very good advise from those that have struggled and then succeeded.

Tight lines my man, nail that big one,

Japo

Did you guys ever thought that maybe thats what lilmystery wanted, a spinning and not a bait casting. If I was a salesman, I would try to look for what the customer wanted after giving him some advice on the advantages and disadvantages (hope the salesman at Richard did????) between the two setup. It ultimately comes down to the customer.

But if I were you, lilmystery, don't even throw that and just take it back for a refund or atleast store credit.

just an fyi... looks like he is deciding to return it.. there is another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by a biley View Post
    in my honest opinion, i say you should skip the whole swimbait setup, i hope your reason for getting it wasn't because everyone throws those bad boys... go with a 7'0 mh rod and a low profile baitcaster, catch a few fish on those... then go for the grand daddy of bass setups, swimbait! like someone said earlier, learn how to walk before you run
    you have learned well young grasshopper. haha hey bro lets go hit up prado this saterday morning. i'll be thier at 8 near the areator with a group.

God Bless

basscatcher

Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher View Post
    you have learned well young grasshopper. haha hey bro lets go hit up prado this saterday morning. i'll be thier at 8 near the areator with a group.

God Bless

basscatcher
    hey biley, you got a date homie!!!

GD

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456