Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DFG took my lobster away

yup...it was at DP. I've always been told and understood the law to be that if the gauge fits over but there is NO GAP and no wiggle room front to rear it's the most MINIMAL legal you can have. But the first one I'm 100% sure it should've been legal. He said I might not be so lucky next time if I get another warden but I"m sure there are other wardens that WOULD have passed me. Oh well, that just mean they'll grow at the end of the season or next year. On a side note...I think he poached my gauge. I don't remember him handing it back and I cleaned all me gear today and it's nowheres to be found. I'm going back and am going to cite him for illegal possession and over limit of lobster gauges.
    By no means was he an Ahole or anything. Just doing his job and he EVENTUALLY kinda vaguely determined they weren't totally legal.

The first thing I want to say about this whole thread is your positive attitude about the whole incident from beginning to end. There are not many people who would have had the smarts not to argue with the man and walk away from the situation with a lesson learned (to a certain degree)and several hundred more dollars still in your wallet, not to mention the fact that if he wanted to he could have possibly seized all of your equipment.
    As you stated the man is out there doing his job, a job we pay him to do and even though he sounded vauge in his answers I would bet money on it that if you had a bad attitude about it he would have cited you.

Can I ask who made the qauge you were using? I ask only because it was not long ago that a certain well known company that only sells lobster and crab equipment was selling us all gauges that were anywhere from 1/16th to 1/8th off.
    I know this because I was cited for possesing a short lobster using their gauges. I went to court and beat the rap only because I went to several tackle stores and bought several gauges from each store. Low and behold each one was short. When i provided the judge with this evidence she threw the case out.
    No longer do I buy anything from that company

I used the BIG gauge that has the abalone measurement on the other side.
    To my discredit I didn't have my card filled out. I only read the part about having the TOTALS to be filled out AFTER and took it for the entire card. Ignorance isn't and excuse though. What is the fine for that? But he didn't check the card until all was said and done and it wasn't an issue with him, "just fill it out BEFORE you go out as it says on the back".
    NE way. They are just lobster. He was polite and professional so I have no reason to be upset.
    Last edited by kwest10; 01-09-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mullet View Post
    The law states they have to be 3.25 inches
    not over 3.25 inches.
    If your gauge goes over but is tight against
    its legal.
    But you still can't argue with a gunho warden,
    not worth a day off work to argue in court.
    JMHO,Mike
    i have bought gauges that were off in measurement to the bad side
    and the warden's have had bad gauges themselves

Default Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    i have bought gauges that were off in measurement to the bad side
    and the warden's have had bad gauges themselves
    I own a precision sheet metal shop.
    I fab my own gauges .010 to the plus side,
    if its tight it goes in the tank.
    Mike

i talked to my brother and he said you have the right to ask for another warden to come and check if you feel you are being treated unfairly. he also said its in your rights to take a picture of the measure and yes the law is 3.25 if it fits perfectly with no wiggle its legal. just do what we do shave a little of your gauge just top be safe.

all the gauges on my boat have been shaved but I also carry a cheap $9 digital caliper from Harbor Freight. With the digital caliper reading out in thousands I don't think I would have a problem with DFG on my close ones.

Got my new gauge and measured it. Looks like its on the smaller or debatable side of 3.25. Filed it down about 1/16th so I should be good to go.
    Thanks for the clarification from your fro bowlfrogg. But like the agent said, I might not be so lucky with another guy. I'll get em back this week.

I got busted with 2 3.25" bugs. There were 2 DFG's out there and they were debating whether to cite me. I guess one of them was an A-hole and didn't let me off with a warning.

I asked the warden at DP one night and he told me that it can fit over, but with no gap.....it has to fit snug. He did say that not all wardens see it the same way though, I personally throw back anything that the gage slips over, not matter how tight. There was a post on here awhile back where a guy ended up in court over his, apparently the judge told him if you put the gage on and can turn the bug upside down without the gage falling off, it's legal.....I like the idea of filing the gage, it's not worth the risk, let alone the lobster population......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast