Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huh?

Default Huh?

I just got back from a quick trip to the Vine and something happened that I didn't understand......didn't happen to me but I did see it happen so I'm hoping that someone can help me understand. It was a short day there for me and as I was cleaning up, a truck that was coming back from the flats stopped and said he was told by someone in a boat (patrol boat, I assume) that he couldn't shore fish from the Flats and only boats were allowed in the area. He was told if he didn't leave that the cops would be called and they would be arrested for trespassing. I told him that I shore fished the flats before and had never heard that and suggested he go to the front to clear it up....and that is exactly where he was going. 200 yards down the road his path was suddenly blocked by a Police SUV and they were being "detained". I tried to get a little info and told the cops that I had fished the flats before and was never told that the section was closed off (not to mention the road was open) but they were not interested in anything I had to say since I wasn't a party to the complaint so I left.

Now I don't know if this guy mouthed off to security to make them call the cops but calling the cops did seem a bit extreme but my real question and confusion is.........is Santiago Flats closed to shore fishermen now and if so, how are we supposed to know that as no information was provided when I bought my pass? This isn't a complaint but rather an open question because I do like to follow the rules but it's difficult if you don't know what they are. Not looking to point fingers at who was right or wrong but just looking to get the information needed to fish peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by fishndrinknsmokin View Post
    I just got back from a quick trip to the Vine and something happened that I didn't understand......didn't happen to me but I did see it happen so I'm hoping that someone can help me understand. It was a short day there for me and as I was cleaning up, a truck that was coming back from the flats stopped and said he was told by someone in a boat (patrol boat, I assume) that he couldn't shore fish from the Flats and only boats were allowed in the area. He was told if he didn't leave that the cops would be called and they would be arrested for trespassing. I told him that I shore fished the flats before and had never heard that and suggested he go to the front to clear it up....and that is exactly where he was going. 200 yards down the road his path was suddenly blocked by a Police SUV and they were being "detained". I tried to get a little info and told the cops that I had fished the flats before and was never told that the section was closed off (not to mention the road was open) but they were not interested in anything I had to say since I wasn't a party to the complaint so I left.

Now I don't know if this guy mouthed off to security to make them call the cops but calling the cops did seem a bit extreme but my real question and confusion is.........is Santiago Flats closed to shore fishermen now and if so, how are we supposed to know that as no information was provided when I bought my pass? This isn't a complaint but rather an open question because I do like to follow the rules but it's difficult if you don't know what they are. Not looking to point fingers at who was right or wrong but just looking to get the information needed to fish peacefully.
    Am sure theres a lot more to this story..........

Great question and great way to ask it. You are very tactful. I can tell you from experience that nobody is calling the cops unless there is a serious problem. I can also tell you that no Police Agency will respond for something that simple. There is much more to this story. My guess is that guy was way way unruly. I have seen people mouth off before and still not get the cops called. He must have left the staff with no choice...OR maybe it wasn't the staff that called....hmmmm

Thanks for sharing and I eagerly await the Vine's response. Mayber you should bring this thread to Vineline or Vineassist's attention via PM

did they guy have his pass? maybe he was trespassing? bad ninja skills?

Good suggestion Mav and PM sent to Vineline.

And yes, I'm sure there is much more to it then the short story I got from the guy's in the truck. I did suspect at first that it may have been someone a bit jealous and not Irvine staff since they had hooked up a few nice fish on what seemed like a slow day (5 fish, one looking close to being a DD) but when the cops did show I assumed that it was staff and that maybe there had been a bit of trouble.

I'm sure it will all get cleared up by Vineline and should have sent a PM before posting the thread.

Tight Lines!!

Quote Originally Posted by GET DA NET View Post
    Am sure theres a lot more to this story..........
    ...there has to be

There's more to this story... Maybe he was smoking something or doing something he wasn't supposed to etc??? I can't imagine he was just chillin minding his own fishing business and was detained...

Quote Originally Posted by HEMAN View Post
    did they guy have his pass? maybe he was trespassing? bad ninja skills?
    No I'm pretty sure that I saw both guy's with passes. I thought I saw them showing them to the police as I was leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    There's more to this story... Maybe he was smoking something or doing something he wasn't supposed to etc??? I can't imagine he was just chillin minding his own fishing business and was detained...
    thats the first thing that came to my mind............

Quote Originally Posted by MAVERICK27 View Post
    Great question and great way to ask it. You are very tactful. I can tell you from experience that nobody is calling the cops unless there is a serious problem. I can also tell you that no Police Agency will respond for something that simple. There is much more to this story. My guess is that guy was way way unruly. I have seen people mouth off before and still not get the cops called. He must have left the staff with no choice...OR maybe it wasn't the staff that called....hmmmm

Thanks for sharing and I eagerly await the Vine's response. Mayber you should bring this thread to Vineline or Vineassist's attention via PM
    if he does a PM we won't get the scoop I want the scoop!!! Cindy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast