Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: penn reel

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    The 209 is a level wind reel... Think Jigmaster with level wind...
    OK for bottom/rock fishing with the level wind, but suck big time for any casting...
    I agree with Nessie. From the picture it looks like the reel has a chrome plated metal spool? If so, that's the worst possible spool to cast with.

I don't recall the gear ratio on this reel, but its probably pretty low by today's standards. I'd suggest using it for lead core trolling or bottom/rock fishing with spectra. The level wind will keep the spectra from tearing up your hands.

Penn 209 Level wind reel. Real good workhorse reel for rockfishing for sure. I use to have one till I gave it away to a starting angler. If I remember correctly the gear ratio was around 3.0 to 1. It was built like a tank, took alot of beatings and kept on going. If you got it for 2 bucks it was 2 bucks well worth it.

I didn't like the original handle so the guys at the shop I go to upgraded the handle for me and it was only 10 bucks and it made a WORLD of difference.

On Ebay they've been going for around 20-40 bucks average if it's not in MINT condition. You definitely got a great deal for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Dude View Post
    yea i know
    i was being sarcastic too >.< it was 2 bucks at a yard sale lol
    HD, Is your question how much can I sell this for? If you paid 2 bucks at a garage sale and you are asking if you got ripped off? Saaaawhat?

Quote Originally Posted by fishtales View Post
    HD, Is your question how much can I sell this for? If you paid 2 bucks at a garage sale and you are asking if you got ripped off? Saaaawhat?
    no i just wanted to known if it is any good to use >.< and the price since i got it so cheap
    Last edited by Halibut Dude; 01-07-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Heck, if you don't want it, I'll give you 2 bucks for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
    Heck, if you don't want it, I'll give you 2 bucks for it.

Ricky Ricky Ricky...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
    Penn 209 Level wind reel. Real good workhorse reel for rockfishing for sure. I use to have one till I gave it away to a starting angler. If I remember correctly the gear ratio was around 3.0 to 1. It was built like a tank, took alot of beatings and kept on going. If you got it for 2 bucks it was 2 bucks well worth it.
    So for the "oldies" its what you would call a "John Cameron Swayze" - it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. You have to be at least 45 and remember the old timex watch commercials ...

You know , come to think of it , i used to use one of those with a
    solid glass rod years and years ago ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12