Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of the Coachella Canals

Default Beware of the Coachella Canals

Just a heads up to the guys that fish (or used to fish) the Coachella Canals, went there to fish over Christmas holiday (I think it was on 12/29/08), hadn't been there in about 6 months or so, but to make a long story short, I was driving along the canal road right off of the Salton Sea, when I turned a corner and waiting for me were 4 Sheriffs, they stopped me and cited me for "off-roading". Apparently it's going to cost about $100 ("for the first infraction"), but as it's a county ordinance violation, it won't go against my DMV record (if that's some consolation). I knew Riverside County was going to crack down on Quads and Bikes that are tearing up the mountain sides, but they said I could be there fishing, I just couldn't be driving on the road. I know El Wierdo comes up this way a few times, so I just wouldn't want you or anyone else making the trek up here only to get cited. If someone has more details as to what you can and can't do, that info would be appreciated.

I am a little confused. Was it a road that you turned on? If so, it seems to me that you were not off roading, but I am not familiar with the regs on off roading. That sucks they gave you a citation for trying to do some fishing.

Thanks for the heads up.

man good looking out bro!! going to have to do some research on this matter..
    thanks again

Ask RamboBoy. He seems to have all the answers for that area!!

Hello all! What a cituation for "off roading"? Oh man!

First of all, I need to know what is specifically ToeFish doing? Did you drive from the road to off road (dirt road), to the canal? If it is, then it is cited!

You need to park by the gate by the road, not off road. I will show you a picture exactly where you parked. Here is a picture!

I have no problem with sheriff and DFG officer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For those of you who are not familiar with the the CC near the Salton Sea, yes it is a dirt road, and very accessible (or at least it was). Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about being cited, I guess I did something wrong and I can accept that, this thread is not a bashing of the Sheriffs for doing their jobs, as I said off the bat, it's a heads up for the other fishermen who come out this way that it's going to be an expensive excursion if you do what I did and you're caught on the dirt road I was on (and had been on numerous times before, with in fact a Sheriff coming by and asking me how the fishing was). RamboBoy, I think you're referring to the areas where there is bridge access to the canals, more towards the city limits.

I too had sheriff's deputies stop by and ask how the fishing was...and even the I.N.S. stopped they too were curious what kind of fish was in there..and not ever had a hassle...guess lean times call for these tough measures..matter of fact was fishing the canals north of slab city...and had a 3 Navy SEAL hummers complete with twin.50cals on top stop by and ask if in fact there were bass in there...I was catching SMB they all said" I'LL be damned."...Toefish once again thanks for the heads up...
    need to call the sheriff's dept. and get the skinny on the roads..

Yeah, Thanks for the heads up on this issue. I will have to make sure that I know the off road regs before I go out there next year for pheasant hunting. I usually go around the Westmoreland and Brawley area.

Used to fish that place all the time with my dad when I was a kid. I remember we drove on the washboard dirt roads all the time and saw border patrol trucks all the time. Never did see any cops. For a while, we were going there almost every other weekend for many years. Haven't been back there for 20 or so years though. I bet it is the budget crisis that we are having here. The state needs every penny it can get now and they are just cracking down on everything and everyone.

I was in Pacific Palisades today for a an estimate and there were tens of parking enforcement vehicles chalking up tires on every street. Easy money for the state. It sucks that when you are working at a jobsite, you have to go out every two hours and either erase their chalk mark or drive and repark. People are trying to earn a living and if they are working at a construction site, with no other parking, why can't the workers be left alone to work and be productive instead of taking time every two hours to check their tires for marks. Sorry for a little venting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast