Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody just soaking pworms or pmouses?

Default bsp

Thanks for all the good info. I have about 8 GLooms ... mostly high end...so a switch to something else is a new thought. But, I'm open to suggestions. Between the 2 that you mentioned, can you elaborate any more on the benefits of each, please? Do you recommend one of each? Any suggestions where the best place is to buy one?

What I am using is a 7' GLoom for plastic worms. I tie straight 2# to a #10 Owners and put a split shot up the line about 24-36." I've been slow to come around with the mini-jigs although I have a ton of them. I'm concerned about not being able to cast them very far and wonder about using a bobber or bubble as some have suggested.

Just so you know, I consider the Phenix Elixer 761 and 801 to be identical in how well they both mini jig. Both rods will do everything related to trout plastics better than anything else out there (St. Croix, G. Loomis, Daiwa, Kencor, Berkley etc), but there are some benefits and drawbacks to each. First of all, the only way you know which you are going to prefer is by handling each in the shop with the reel you are going to use on the rod. I personally prefer 8ft rods because I like the way they balance better, but some people think that 8fters don't balance as well as 7'6" rods. Next, the increase in casting distance with the 801 is a few yards, so if you need to outcast other people on the lake go for it. The drawback is that you won't be able to take it to areas with a lot of trees or overhead obstructions. Again, I use an 8ft rod because I can do roll casts under the trees, but if you use overhead casts in areas with a lot of obstructions then a 7'6" will be better for you. The casting distance on both will be more than adequate for 1/32oz mini jigs. Distance will not be a problem since most of time you will actually be casting over the trout!

The bubble is not really needed. If the trout are feeding close to the surface I'll sometimes use it, but it is more about presentation than casting distance. Basically, if casting distance is the reason you were thinking of using it, don't worry about it. The trout will hit lures towards the bottom of the water column the majority of the time.

If you were to get two rods, I would say to get an 801 and an 802. If only one, go for the 801. I can deal with using long rods in tight quarters, so for me, there are no drawbacks to 8fters. The reason I would get an Elixer 802 as well is that it is the perfect trout rod for everything that is not a soft plastic. Once you have both an 801 and 802, you will be set for trout rods... until you get into creek fishing!

As for purchasing,
    http://www.phenixrods.com/check-out-...-trout-series/
    lists the places you can purchase the rods at the bottom of the page. They are all good places. The Phenix Elixers also look incredible too.

Default Thanks

to all ... I got a lot of good info

To: bsp

I'm very interested in the 801 and 802. I assumed that the 76 and 80 prefix relate to the length. But what's the diff between the 801 and 802.

As you noted, my concern was how to get any distance when casting 1/64 and 1/32 weights? Length of rod will obviously help I know. Thought the bubble might help ... I know some posters on this board have said they use them ... even ones that rattle.

Any thoughts on comparing a GLoom 7'6 or 8'0 vs the Phenix?

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    to all ... I got a lot of good info

To: bsp

I'm very interested in the 801 and 802. I assumed that the 76 and 80 prefix relate to the length. But what's the diff between the 801 and 802.

As you noted, my concern was how to get any distance when casting 1/64 and 1/32 weights? Length of rod will obviously help I know. Thought the bubble might help ... I know some posters on this board have said they use them ... even ones that rattle.

Any thoughts on comparing a GLoom 7'6 or 8'0 vs the Phenix?
    1 and 2 are power ratings. So the 801 is what you want for throwing minijigs because it is the lightest power (ie it's tips loads with the lighter weights than he 802). The lighter tips also allows you to impart a little more action on the jig, but the tradeoff is that you have less backbone when fighting fish. The 802 has more backbone, but it will not cast a 1/32oz minijig as far as the 801. I use the 802 with 3lb line for kastmasters, spoons, crankbaits, and jerkbaits. Basically, the 801 is the powerworm/lip ripperz/mini jig rod (2lb test), and the 802 is the everything else rod (3lb or 4lb test).

Distance with an 801 will not be a problem. Most trout live close to shore, and you will be casting over them with the 801. Bubbles are used with 1/64oz jigs because no rod will cast them really far, but they are mainly used when the trout are feeding near the surface to keep the jig from sinking below them. The rattle bobbers are used to attract trout because the rattle sometimes draws them in. These are specialized techniques, but if you want to try them, the 801 will handle them fine and you'll get way more distance than you need.

I am not a fan of the Loomis trout rods. I have tried the 7'2 GLX and the 7'6 mini jig model and they both missed the mark in terms of taper. The 7'6 is way too slow for mini jigs (can't set the hook), and the GLX is way too fast (not enough give so line breaks). The 7'6 Loomis I tried was being used as powerbait rods while the guy was jigging with his Phenix, and the GLX was in the guy's truck. They are decent rods, but they just don't work for SoCal style trout fishing. The Phenixs' have a fast action taper that manages to be a little moderate. You get a solid hookset, but the rod will give nicely throughout the fight so the line doesn't break.
    Last edited by bsp; 01-14-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Default Wow

You took a lot of time to write some great stuff. Thanks much.

I've looked all over, googled, etc. ... and can't find a good web site or a distributor here in Northern Nevada. It looks like Phenix went out of business and back in? How good of a company are they?

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    You took a lot of time to write some great stuff. Thanks much.

I've looked all over, googled, etc. ... and can't find a good web site or a distributor here in Northern Nevada. It looks like Phenix went out of business and back in? How good of a company are they?
    No problem!

They changed ownership a while ago, so that is why you may have found two websites. www.phenixrods.com is the current one. As for company quality, they are one of the best out there because they not only have an awesome product, but they also care about their customers. They are one of the few rod companies that will spend some time talking to a customer at trade shows as opposed to blowing them off.

To solve your distributor problem, I would do one (or both) of two things:
    1: First, try calling one of the distributors listed on the site (either Fisherman's Access or Richard's Fishing Tackle) and see if they will ship them to you.

2: If that does not work, try calling Phenix directly using the number on the website. They should try to make it work for you because you are a serious buyer who knows what he wants.

If you want to read a little more about them, www.tackletour.com has some articles pertaining to them.
    Last edited by bsp; 06-13-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: grammar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12