Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct 1-4-09 Morning

Default Duct 1-4-09 Morning

Well I got my cripple butt out there this morning for an hour. I just couldn't take it anymore. Hurting ankle or not, I needed some fresh air. The air was definitely fresh and crisp. It was very cold and temp in the high teens. Ice forming on the guides, line and reel. Hands getting a little numb. Basically it was very cold.

I start out with the Trap for a little while and nothing. I tie on a 4" pearl swim shad and toss that for a few minutes. I finally get a taker and the fight is on. I get in to the edge and because I can't go down the side of the duct to pick it up like I normally do (ankle won't articulate the angle of the duct wall and I can only step flat), so I start to drag it up. It's flopping and flipping as I keep dragging it up the side and about half way up, it unhooks and flops in the water and takes off. If not for my ankle not letting me walk on the incline, I would have had it as my first catch of the year. It was the average Palmdale duct striper in the 6 to 8 lb range. Another fatty but I couldn't get it all the way up the side where I could grab it.

Sorry but no fish picture because I couldn't get my hands on it but I did snap a shot of the icy reel. Farmed fish or not, it was good to get out and good not to slip in this time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2603.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	9566  

Welcome back.. Your a better guy than me , hell 29 this morning, no thanks.

under the sercomstances we will call that one a CATCH AND RELEASE!!

WTG out there bro and good luck with the ankle

Hey Yolo, Glad to see your back at it. too bad for the fish loss,but at least your catching them. I have to meet up with you sometime so you can show me how its done..got the 9 month skunk on the back and its time to kick it!! Take it easy on that ankle,it takes some time..

Thanks guys. Just got back from my son's soccer game and it is windy out there. Not even a breeze this early morning but it's blowing now. I was going to go back out after the Dolphins game with my neighbor but if it stays windy, I'm staying in. At least I will have someone to grab the fish for me if we end up going and hooking up with one? Looks like 09 is shaping up to be pretty good. Actually tail end of 08 it started to turn around for me. The rest of 08 was not on par with 07. Here's to '09

if ya need someone to man the net let me know, I've tried to get on those Palmdale stripers for a while now with no luck.

There's talk of a duct meet in another thread when it warms up a bit. It would be ideal time for all those wanting to fish but have never fished the duct to do so. Maybe we can have duct baptism right there by one of the buoy lines and ladders to get it out of the way, done and over with .

at least u didnt fall in this time ....LOL u'll get em next time

I'll be perfectly content to go another 20+ years without falling in.

Ice on the gear during the day is coooold!! LDR's(long distance release) are ok as long as you saw the fish!!

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast