Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you all transport your kayak?

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    thats wrong! funny , but wrong
    i could imagine a lil scully filpping around lol or a big loster
    Inflatables are more a bit more stable on the water, so I don't see why she couldn't handle the salt. It's almost like having invisible sponsons. But yes, there is a very real possibility of rupturing a pontoon or something. That's why I always have my PFD and a patch kit with me. I think drowning is at the bottom of my list of ways I'd like to die, lol. As for some a-hole trying to pop it, that is just plain wrong. I doubt anyone would have the audacity, but if it did happen, lets just say i used to play water polo. I can think of a few fun ways to end that situation quickly, he he he. Stay safe out there guys.

-Skyler

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Inflatables are more a bit more stable on the water, so I don't see why she couldn't handle the salt. It's almost like having invisible sponsons. But yes, there is a very real possibility of rupturing a pontoon or something. That's why I always have my PFD and a patch kit with me. I think drowning is at the bottom of my list of ways I'd like to die, lol. As for some a-hole trying to pop it, that is just plain wrong. I doubt anyone would have the audacity, but if it did happen, lets just say i used to play water polo. I can think of a few fun ways to end that situation quickly, he he he. Stay safe out there guys.

-Skyler
    it would do just fine in the salt! don't let any critters loose in the bottom though then you'd be doing the eggbeater all the way back. I take my fishcat floattube in the harbors but i release all the toothy critters before they get a chance to do damage

it would do just fine in the salt! don't let any critters loose in the bottom though then you'd be doing the eggbeater all the way back. I take my fishcat floattube in the harbors but i release all the toothy critters before they get a chance to do damage
    Ah yes, the ever so torturous eggbeaters. My coach used to make me do 'em stationary for like 30 minutes straight, lol. I doubt he'd have lasted five minutes!

As for the salt, i've been wanting to hit up one of the local harbors for awhile in my yak. If anybody in-the-know is ever heading out to yak NPH, Mission Bay or Huntington Harbor, let me know. I'd love to get out there and learn the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Ah yes, the ever so torturous eggbeaters. My coach used to make me do 'em stationary for like 30 minutes straight, lol. I doubt he'd have lasted five minutes!

As for the salt, i've been wanting to hit up one of the local harbors for awhile in my yak. If anybody in-the-know is ever heading out to yak NPH, Mission Bay or Huntington Harbor, let me know. I'd love to get out there and learn the ropes.
    to bad there isn't a way to transport my yak i'd roll with you.

I use Yakama roof top racks on my truck or the Trailer I built from Harbor freight

I just slide the yak off into the water if I'm doing the harbor thing, If I am launching from the surf the boats are on the top of the truck or I just slide them off on to weels, these are my new ones that I built very happy with them

Marauder XF, Fish n Dive, Cobra Double + 1 aka the Barge

John H

Fishmadns, what are you doing here? I recognize that pic of your wheels from "the other" site. I do like the wheels. You did a nice job for sure. I really like the trailer! I've been wanting to do that myself. I made a truck rack to transport mine, but I've wanted to make a 4 or 6 yak trailer out of an old jet ski trailer for awhile. Easier to load and unload. Makes parking a pain in the busier beach months, but I think I could learn to deal.

As far as hanging the yaks from the bed of your truck, I did it once or twice, but on the way back from yakking Dana Point one time, I saw a crushed kayak sitting in the center divider. If anyone is gonna be smacked and have a kayak destroyed, it would probably be me. Your aren't gonna stop an idiot from hitting you, but a lighted trailer or a full size truck is a lot easier for people to see than the end of a kayak sticking out of your truck, red flag or not.

to bad there isn't a way to transport my yak i'd roll with you.
    You could just strap it down on the top of my Suzuki sidekick. My roofline is sprayed down with nonskid coating, and it's a four-door, so it's plenty long enough for most yaks. Send me a PM if you're interested. I've been wanting to hit NPH for awhile now. Later.

Quote Originally Posted by yobnhojmi View Post
    Fishmadns, what are you doing here? I recognize that pic of your wheels from "the other" site. I do like the wheels. You did a nice job for sure. I really like the trailer! I've been wanting to do that myself. I made a truck rack to transport mine, but I've wanted to make a 4 or 6 yak trailer out of an old jet ski trailer for awhile. Easier to load and unload. Makes parking a pain in the busier beach months, but I think I could learn to deal
    Ya I like to get around Thanks for the complement on the weels, As for the trailer during the summer for surf launches the boats go on top of the truck, Parking can be a pain unless you launch very early. Harbor launches are a snap just go to the boat launch slide the yaks in the water park the truck and your off same thing loading them makes my life good when I'm Hooping

John H

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123