Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: How do you all transport your kayak?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How do you all transport your kayak?

I was wondering how do you all transport your kayak, i have a pick up truck and i plan to place the rear, couple of feet sticking out of the rear of the kayak, and the rest sticking upfront on top of my cab. Any ideas? thanks, i'll be picking up a 2 seater tomorrow.

I just let them hang out the back of the pickup with a few ratchet straps holding them down. I just recently bought a set of wheels to roll the yak around and i love them. I strongly recommend them to everyone. Makes things a million times easier.

I just strap it down in the back of the truck, it sticks out about 5ft. Just make sure the straps are tight. And tie on a red flag/towel on the back of the kayak when transporting it.

okay i just picked up my 16ft ocean kayak. The way i transported was like i described, tail gate close rear end sticking out about a foot or two, front end over the cab this way worked out fine. I was thinking next time to put the rear of the kayak inside the bed and the front of the kayak on top of the cab like before, what do you guys think?

I use a bed extender from Harbor Freight...$19.99 on sale.

Sorry for the dark pix.

There are some legalities regarding how far anything can extend beyond your tailgate so
    please check DMV regs.

SamFisher

dam that thing sticks out pretty good amount. I'm in ca do you know if it's legal, i think legal is 4ft? But it may be different with that extender you have? It must save time in loading and a peace of mind while driving.

I use Yakama roof top racks on my truck or the Trailer I built from Harbor freight

I just slide the yak off into the water if I'm doing the harbor thing, If I am launching from the surf the boats are on the top of the truck or I just slide them off on to weels, these are my new ones that I built very happy with them

Marauder XF, Fish n Dive, Cobra Double + 1 aka the Barge

John H

Fishmadns, what are you doing here? I recognize that pic of your wheels from "the other" site. I do like the wheels. You did a nice job for sure. I really like the trailer! I've been wanting to do that myself. I made a truck rack to transport mine, but I've wanted to make a 4 or 6 yak trailer out of an old jet ski trailer for awhile. Easier to load and unload. Makes parking a pain in the busier beach months, but I think I could learn to deal.

As far as hanging the yaks from the bed of your truck, I did it once or twice, but on the way back from yakking Dana Point one time, I saw a crushed kayak sitting in the center divider. If anyone is gonna be smacked and have a kayak destroyed, it would probably be me. Your aren't gonna stop an idiot from hitting you, but a lighted trailer or a full size truck is a lot easier for people to see than the end of a kayak sticking out of your truck, red flag or not.

Quote Originally Posted by yobnhojmi View Post
    Fishmadns, what are you doing here? I recognize that pic of your wheels from "the other" site. I do like the wheels. You did a nice job for sure. I really like the trailer! I've been wanting to do that myself. I made a truck rack to transport mine, but I've wanted to make a 4 or 6 yak trailer out of an old jet ski trailer for awhile. Easier to load and unload. Makes parking a pain in the busier beach months, but I think I could learn to deal
    Ya I like to get around Thanks for the complement on the weels, As for the trailer during the summer for surf launches the boats go on top of the truck, Parking can be a pain unless you launch very early. Harbor launches are a snap just go to the boat launch slide the yaks in the water park the truck and your off same thing loading them makes my life good when I'm Hooping

John H