Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you all transport your kayak?

Default How do you all transport your kayak?

I was wondering how do you all transport your kayak, i have a pick up truck and i plan to place the rear, couple of feet sticking out of the rear of the kayak, and the rest sticking upfront on top of my cab. Any ideas? thanks, i'll be picking up a 2 seater tomorrow.

I just let them hang out the back of the pickup with a few ratchet straps holding them down. I just recently bought a set of wheels to roll the yak around and i love them. I strongly recommend them to everyone. Makes things a million times easier.

I just strap it down in the back of the truck, it sticks out about 5ft. Just make sure the straps are tight. And tie on a red flag/towel on the back of the kayak when transporting it.

okay i just picked up my 16ft ocean kayak. The way i transported was like i described, tail gate close rear end sticking out about a foot or two, front end over the cab this way worked out fine. I was thinking next time to put the rear of the kayak inside the bed and the front of the kayak on top of the cab like before, what do you guys think?

I use a bed extender from Harbor Freight...$19.99 on sale.

Sorry for the dark pix.

There are some legalities regarding how far anything can extend beyond your tailgate so
    please check DMV regs.

SamFisher

dam that thing sticks out pretty good amount. I'm in ca do you know if it's legal, i think legal is 4ft? But it may be different with that extender you have? It must save time in loading and a peace of mind while driving.

I'm in SoCal also. I've used the extender for many years w/o any problems from CHP or PD.
    I believe you are correct about the 4' beyond the tailgate. Here's what I found on the DMV

Projecting Loads

Lights (or flags) on projecting loads. When the load on any vehicle extends four feet or
    more beyond the rear of the body, a solid red or fluorescent orange flag at least 12 inches
    square must be placed at the extreme end of the load. If the vehicle is operated during
    darkness, there must be two lighted red lights at the end of the load visible at a distance of
    500 feet to the side and rear of the vehicle. (VC §24604)

You should give DMV or AAA a call to make sure.

The bed extender does make it easier to load/unload. It is quite safe. I've had as many as
    four kayaks stacked in the bed of my truck w/ no problems.

SamFisher
    Last edited by SamFisher; 01-04-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Default How I Transport Our Kayaks

I use Yakima crossbars with my own homemade loading assist system this gets the yak's up on top with with very little effort then a combonation of ratcheting winch straps and bungee's and we're ready to roll anywhere.

Fastfish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image000.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	9567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image001.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	9568  

I have a brand new in the box Thule Bed Extender for sale if you're interested PM me. It's the goal post design. I ended up just using my yakima rack from my other car to transport the yak.
    Last edited by wkk; 01-08-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Hang it out the back with a red flag attached to the rear. I have done it this way for over 6 years. I haul my yak to Big Bear and San Diego bay all the time w/no problems. Once i asked a local CHP officer and he looked at it and said no problem looks fine with me.
    Just make sure you strap it down good. Get straps, not bungee cords. I also run a small cable with a pad lock through one of the scupper holes and around a tie down point in the bed. That way if you want to stop to eat or something at least it is some what safe.

If you are going to haul it in the dark you will need(by law) a light on the rear. I made a cheap set up using 1 trailer light hooked up to my plug next to my trailer hitch. I got the light at Wallyworld in the automotive section.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast