Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Personal Best sheephead (29 lbs)

That's a biggun!! Nice job. I haven't eaten breakfast and that pan shot is making me drool. What recipe were you using?

that is one big sheepshead

Nice job on the big goats, BUT you need to check your reg book!!! There is a zero take on sheep head from a boat till March. Lucky you guys didn't get checked by DFG.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf

Kind sir, I am not sure how avid of an angler you are but please do keep in mind to please shoot and release. Try to aim for the tail so that you do not hit any vital organs. Also please retrieve your spear prior to release so that the fish do not die from it's rust.

Thank you for understanding...

P.S. the pics of the steaks are very disturbing to say the least. I have to go and plant a tree now...

Quote Originally Posted by paDDy View Post
    Nice job on the big goats, BUT you need to check your reg book!!! There is a zero take on sheep head from a boat till March. Lucky you guys didn't get checked by DFG.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf
    Spearing is legal year round. Only by hook and line is it illegal. Gotcha! J/K
    Last edited by ahhvtec; 01-03-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahhvtec View Post
    Spearing is legal year round. Only by hook and line is it illegal. Gotcha! J/K
    Not from a boat unless I am reading the regs wrong. Check out the link and let me know. I know its ok from the shore but from a boat??

Quote Originally Posted by Wildhorse1966 View Post
    LOL

if your in no way telling him what to catch then why did you open your trap??? did you want him to release the fish after spearing it? i have dove that area before and i can tell you there is NO shortage of nice sized calicos there.... i am sure he will be eating those fish and it wont go to waste so i see nothing wrong with what he has done ... next time just say great job and move along if you have nothign nice to say
    After all the lurkers see that, there will be a shortage soon.....

Nice fish man......take it easy on the larger calicos, if you dont mind....you had 100 lbs of sheephead to eat.....peace

GD

oh yeah, "have a nice day"

Quote Originally Posted by flopps1 View Post
    Great catch on the sheep's! However, don't mean to be rude or put a dark cloud on this post but a 7 lbs calico is a heavy breeder and takes years to get to that size. It would do more justice to our fisheries and furture fishing if those size calico's are released to help improve the population.

Please, understand that I am in no way telling you what to catch or what you should do in the water. If it's legal then it's totally at your discretion. But I bring it up as food for thought. A 7 pounder is a rarity in these parts and I believe a calico of that nature would do more justice breeding, then being on the dinner table.

Conservation plays a huge role in our ocean waters. It seems the calicos just keep getting smaller out here and it scares me what the future will bring for these species.

Again, not telling anyone to do anything. Just putting thought out there. I believe that's where it starts.
    Nice reply Flopps......i totally agree with that.....conservation....PLEASE.....

GD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildhorse1966 View Post
    LOL

if your in no way telling him what to catch then why did you open your trap??? did you want him to release the fish after spearing it? i have dove that area before and i can tell you there is NO shortage of nice sized calicos there.... i am sure he will be eating those fish and it wont go to waste so i see nothing wrong with what he has done ... next time just say great job and move along if you have nothign nice to say
    Open my trap...huh??? K...wildhorse! I'll be your huckleberry!

It's obvious he's already made the kill. No sh**!!! Shirlock! I was referring to the next time. Open your mind up to the big picture here!!!! If you read my post correctly, I didn't tell him what to catch, or that it would be a waste on the dinner table. Nor, did I ever say that he was wrong!

You might want to re-read my post again since you didn't get it the first time. I just stated my opinion as to how a 7 lbs calico might be better served. And what point was my statement negative????

So...before you decide to kick up some dust, make sure you get your facts straight. If he didn't take any offense to it, then why are you?

Again, just putting thought out there. I in no way a hard core conservationist but I would like to see my son and future generations catch a calico of that size without having a fly a couple hundred miles to do so. The big picture!!!!! Smart guy!
    Last edited by flopps1; 01-03-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Those are some monster sheeps there! Wonder what it would be like to get one that size on a rod!
    Congrats on the new pers. best!

To clear up the regulation question:
    The recreational fishery for California sheephead (Semicossyphus pulcher) is open year-round to divers(see note 2 below) and shore-based anglers. The fishery is closed to boat-based anglers as of January 1, 2009 and will reopen on March 1, 2009 (see important NOTE at the end of this section). California sheephead may only be taken or possessed4 in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep. The daily bag and possession limit is 5 fish with a minimum size limit of 12 inches total length.

1 Associated state managed species include cabezon, greenlings, California sheephead and ocean whitefish.

2 Except for spearfishing gear, all other types of fishing gear are prohibited to be aboard a vessel or non-motorized watercraft while spearfishing for the purpose of retaining federal groundfish and associated state managed species during a seasonal closure affecting boat-based anglers.

3 In closed areas or during closed periods, Pacific sanddab (Citharichthys sordidus) and "other flatfish" as defined in Section 1.91(a)(10) butter sole (Isopsetta isolepis), curlfin sole (Pleuronichthys decurrens), flathead sole (Hippoglossoides elassodon), rex sole (Glyptocephalus zachirus), rock sole (Lepidopsetta bilineata), and sand sole (Psettichthys melanostictus) may ONLY be taken using the following gear: up to 12 no. 2 (or smaller) hooks and up to 2 lb. of weight.
    Last edited by HESBROS; 01-03-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast