Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Personal Best sheephead (29 lbs)

Default New Personal Best sheephead (29 lbs)

Decided to bring in the new year and break in the license by doing a morning dive with buddies Sean and Lon.

Met up at South Shores at 6:50 and in the water by 8 am.

Visibility 15 +
    Water Temp: 54 degrees
    little current
    Lots of fog

BEST 1st dive of the year ever!

My kill:

7 lbs Calico
    18 lbs Sheephead
    29 lbs Sheephead

In the water shot:

Headshot:

Resting with the fishes:

Dive buddies Sean and Lon

Sean's leg is about the right size :)

Fish next to my dive tank for a better size comparrison

Kid comparrison

Awesome day on the water with good friends! Can't wait to do it again!

Sad note: Found out the the idiots at Redondo Marine did not install the waterflow guage correctly and the hose came off and a lot of salt water got sprayed all over my engine. I a large repair bill coming my way! :(

Last edited by kanco; 01-02-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks for the report! Nice fish

I have not taste that fish. Is that good tasty the fillet of sheephead?

Very nice goats! How deep were you when you shot your goats?

Sheepshead are great eating Rambo.

man those are some awsome goats there congrats on all your catches some good eating will be done im sure
    [IMG]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1952/osiitoavatorat7.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6360/38134035pg5.jpg[/IMG][img]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8875/28244273hx0.jpg[/img][img]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4591/trophiesal2.jpg[/img]

Hi kanco,

Wow ... Nice shooting !! Even the perch were big !!

That's one decent-sized Sheephead breeder !!

JapanRon

Great catch on the sheep's! However, don't mean to be rude or put a dark cloud on this post but a 7 lbs calico is a heavy breeder and takes years to get to that size. It would do more justice to our fisheries and furture fishing if those size calico's are released to help improve the population.

Please, understand that I am in no way telling you what to catch or what you should do in the water. If it's legal then it's totally at your discretion. But I bring it up as food for thought. A 7 pounder is a rarity in these parts and I believe a calico of that nature would do more justice breeding, then being on the dinner table.

Conservation plays a huge role in our ocean waters. It seems the calicos just keep getting smaller out here and it scares me what the future will bring for these species.

Again, not telling anyone to do anything. Just putting thought out there. I believe that's where it starts.
    Last edited by flopps1; 01-02-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Point taken Flopps and will keep it in mind.

Teamartin,
    I was in about 25 feet of water and got dragged down by him into 50 feet of water :)

Rambo,
    Sheephead a great eating fish. Nice solid white meat. You should try it once the season reopens for them in March. Or you can jump in the cold water now and spear some :) in the meantime, feed your eyes a bit. These are steaks from the last one i shot in November.

Quote Originally Posted by flopps1 View Post
    Great catch on the sheep's! However, don't mean to be rude or put a dark cloud on this post but a 7 lbs calico is a heavy breeder and takes years to get to that size. It would do more justice to our fisheries and furture fishing if those size calico's are released to help improve the population.

Please, understand that I am in no way telling you what to catch or what you should do in the water. If it's legal then it's totally at your discretion. But I bring it up as food for thought. A 7 pounder is a rarity in these parts and I believe a calico of that nature would do more justice breeding, then being on the dinner table.

Conservation plays a huge role in our ocean waters. It seems the calicos just keep getting smaller out here and it scares me what the future will bring for these species.

Again, not telling anyone to do anything. Just putting thought out there. I believe that's where it starts.

LOL

if your in no way telling him what to catch then why did you open your trap??? did you want him to release the fish after spearing it? i have dove that area before and i can tell you there is NO shortage of nice sized calicos there.... i am sure he will be eating those fish and it wont go to waste so i see nothing wrong with what he has done ... next time just say great job and move along if you have nothign nice to say

Edwin, you suck brudda.....

Im not falling off the rocks and bleeding for your enjoyment ever again!!!!!

But a peace offering of a steak or two may just change my mind????

Friggin PIG of a Goat dude!!!! All very nice fishies man...

awesome kill bro

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast