Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: father of the year candidates and a short report

Default Father of the Year Stories

Those are some sweet stories. I am a father of a 16 month old daughter and I can't wait until she is old enough to start reeling in some fish. She's going to have only the best gear. She's already got a set-up waiting for her. I love how everything is so fresh and new through their eyes.

Here's a cool story. I went to Castaic Lagoon today and a father accompanied his son fishing. The thing is that the father doesn't even like fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by rip555 View Post
    Here's a cool story. I went to Castaic Lagoon today and a father accompanied his son fishing. The thing is that the father doesn't even like fishing.
    Awesome... that might be the REAL father of the year.

I would have had a great time with my son but unfortunately the FNN'ers were hogging Trout Island and some fat guy sitting in his truck bed was yelling at me to "Stay outside the yellow bouy's"

Anyway, next time I'm going inside the yellow bouy's and there's nothing your going to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnGleR View Post
    I would have had a great time with my son but unfortunately the FNN'ers were hogging Trout Island and some fat guy sitting in his truck bed was yelling at me to "Stay outside the yellow bouy's"

Anyway, next time I'm going inside the yellow bouy's and there's nothing your going to do about it.
    where do these new people with posts like this come from???

GD

Quote Originally Posted by EyeAmRealGhetto View Post
    i've got TWO stories for you

first one.. LNL this past week, a dad is reeling in a fish while her daughter is right there watching. I forgot the girls name, the dude yelled it out once but i forgot... for story purposes we'll just use "carol"
    if thats not bad enough, the line snaps and the dad FARMS the fish, and then he yells "CAROL! look what you did!" and he blames the daughter for the loss. ??? how messed is that??

STORY TWO

I was fishing SARL about a month back, and this dad and his son walks up to me asking what im using and stuff like that. The kid is amazed to see a few fish on my stringer because they have never caught a fish in their lives. Right then I get a bite, I set the hook and pass the rod to the kid. then the DAD TAKES the pole and reels in the fish

some fathers out there
    I don't want to use the language I'm thinking of,for thr 2nd. father. But how stupid was that, I would of said something!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnGleR View Post

Really doesn't matter cause the lake security would have kicked you out of there anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    where do these new people with posts like this come from???

GD

I think the junior school re-opens next week

Nice job on the new years eve limits, I heard fishing was pretty good on Wednesday....I wish I coulda made it out there.

It is too bad some adults just "don't get it", watching my daughter remove the bite indicator, set the hook and reel in her own fish is nothing short of priceless to me.

Thanks for the report,

TD

These pay to fish lakes sometimes get the dads to overlook the joy in fishing with the kids. It's a lot of money to get in for one thing if you have a few with you. So it's dinner and not really about what they could of caught. get a child to reel in a 10lbr and that face/picturwe will be on file for many years.

I fish Lake Mission Viejo during the trout season and they have tournaments to get the kids to come out. These tournaments are all about teaching kids how to fish. The prizes range from $10,$15,$25,$30 gift cards to Sport Chalet,rod n reel combos,trout tackle packages,nets, stringers,fishing line, and plier kits. The most weight of fish here is not used so it gives the kids a chance to win. A bling bogey weight is used for everyone in each division. 2-11,12-17 and the adults. $4 for kids to enter and $5 for adults. If blind bogey weight is 5lbs you can go over or under to win. It gives the kids a chance to compete and feel good about what they caught and win a prize.

In 2007 I got my neighbor to fish a tourney for the 1st time with his 7 yr old daughter. I baited and netted all the fish for them. They had there limit but I had 1 fish in the last reamaining hour. It was windy,40 degress outside, and ,my hands were freezing red netting the fish and takin hooks out. I did get 3 more for a limit. They had a great time and have been fishing since. His daughter wants to go fishing all the time now. That's what will happen when you let the kids have a turn on the reel. It's better than them being elsewhere like on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBass777 View Post
    These pay to fish lakes sometimes get the dads to overlook the joy in fishing with the kids. It's a lot of money to get in for one thing if you have a few with you. So it's dinner and not really about what they could of caught. get a child to reel in a 10lbr and that face/picturwe will be on file for many years.

I fish Lake Mission Viejo during the trout season and they have tournaments to get the kids to come out. These tournaments are all about teaching kids how to fish. The prizes range from $10,$15,$25,$30 gift cards to Sport Chalet,rod n reel combos,trout tackle packages,nets, stringers,fishing line, and plier kits. The most weight of fish here is not used so it gives the kids a chance to win. A bling bogey weight is used for everyone in each division. 2-11,12-17 and the adults. $4 for kids to enter and $5 for adults. If blind bogey weight is 5lbs you can go over or under to win. It gives the kids a chance to compete and feel good about what they caught and win a prize.

In 2007 I got my neighbor to fish a tourney for the 1st time with his 7 yr old daughter. I baited and netted all the fish for them. They had there limit but I had 1 fish in the last reamaining hour. It was windy,40 degress outside, and ,my hands were freezing red netting the fish and takin hooks out. I did get 3 more for a limit. They had a great time and have been fishing since. His daughter wants to go fishing all the time now. That's what will happen when you let the kids have a turn on the reel. It's better than them being elsewhere like on the streets.
    nice man....

GD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast