Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: father of the year candidates and a short report

Default father of the year candidates and a short report

fished irvine new years eve and the 3 of us caught our limits of smallish trout to about a 1.5lbs. nothing special to write home about. caught them along the west shore on split-shot trout worms.

I've been here once this year and once last year and i've seen on both occasions a father of the year candidate. The first time i was out we stopped by the kids lagoon so my little cousins could catch some fish. Across the way from us was a guy and his son about 6 years old. The dad hooks a fish on bait and starts reeling it in when his son comes over and asks if he could reel it in. His dad says hold on then proceeds to reel in the fish all while the kid sits there watching. This went on for the next 2 fish they caught. Really pathetic.

A few days ago while ready to take off a dad hooks up to a fish and his daughter comes running over with the net and says "trade?" I didn't hear what he said but he ends up reeling the fish in. As its getting close to shore she puts down the net close to the water and this idiot bounces the fish over the net and onto land. She just kind of stands there and then walks away as he goes to take the hook out. All this for a trout that might have gone 1lb if it was lucky.

Anyway i just don't even see the reason why some of these idiots even bring they're kids with them if they don't plan on letting them fish. I know when i bring my kid down i don't real in a single fish all day. I have to hear it later how he caught x amount and i caught none but thats cool with me. I have seen plenty of fathers let they're kids reel in fish and keep them involved or teaching them but i'm just speaking of the few i've seen each time i've gone. Rant over.

Yeah, i HATE that man...when my lil girl is fishing with me, i NEVER reel in fish.....but my lil girl loves me, and after a few, she says "You can do it daddy, its your turn".....i love my girl

GD
    Last edited by ghetto dad; 01-02-2009 at 01:01 PM.

That shouldn't be allowed. if someone see this happening they should report it.
    if I am right it said for kids only.
    Dad or mom should have there arms around the kids and guide there little hands, and show them how.

just my 2cents

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRREL View Post
    That shouldn't be allowed. if someone see this happening they should report it.
    if I am right it said for kids only.
    Dad or mom should have there arms around the kids and guide there little hands, and show them how.

just my 2cents

Andy
    yeah, i concur...

GD

Anyway i just don't even see the reason why some of these idiots even bring they're kids with them if they don't plan on letting them fish. I know when i bring my kid down i don't real in a single fish all day. I have to hear it later how he caught x amount and i caught none but thats cool with me. I have seen plenty of fathers let they're kids reel in fish and keep them involved or teaching them but i'm just speaking of the few i've seen each time i've gone. Rant over.
    Absolutely. When I was teaching Stickfighter to fish I rarely did anything except bait up, cast and net. One day he got smart and decided that no one else had caught a fish except him and he started handing off his rod to me or Grandpa so we could catch one too. How cute is that? Now that he has learned how to net fish he almost likes doing that as much as catching them himself. I took him fishing Thanksgiving (he is 6 now) and he informed me that he can cast on his own now, cause he is a lot bigger than he used to be.

Nothing beats watching kids catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fish View Post
    Absolutely. When I was teaching Stickfighter to fish I rarely did anything except bait up, cast and net. One day he got smart and decided that no one else had caught a fish except him and he started handing off his rod to me or Grandpa so we could catch one too. How cute is that? Now that he has learned how to net fish he almost likes doing that as much as catching them himself. I took him fishing Thanksgiving (he is 6 now) and he informed me that he can cast on his own now, cause he is a lot bigger than he used to be.

Nothing beats watching kids catch fish.
    hey granny....yeah...my daughter does that too....and she also sometimes seems like she has more fun netting the fish than catching....lol..why is that?????

GD

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    hey granny....yeah...my daughter does that too....and she also sometimes seems like she has more fun netting the fish than catching....lol..why is that?????

GD

My youngest does the same thing, he is 7. His rod goes bendo, I yell Aiden your on!, he runs up the hill to get the net and one of his brothers has to get his rod. It is the weirdest thing.

Default I have a good one too...

On 12/31/2008 I fished with one of Irvine's Legend's Dr. Hook! Dr. Hook(Art) lines was on fire! He was bouncing from one rod to the other. He saw this 8 year old kid name Arick. Arick was with his Dad and Grandpa.,but didn't seem to be having too much fun,Dad and Grandpa was doing the fishing mostly. When Dr. Hook got the next bite he called Arick over and let him catch the fish over and over and let him keep the fish also. The kid lit up like a light bulb! Way to go Dr. Hook. Cindy
    Last edited by Mondo21; 01-02-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Some dads just don't know have to have fun with there kids when there out fishing, if the kid will loose the fish or something so what let the kids reel in the fish and if the fish comes off so what .
    When i take my kids fishing on shore and it's not crowded they usually cast and do all the fishing them selves but when it's crowded i usually cast for my little one but she brings the fish her self and she loves it

i've got TWO stories for you

first one.. LNL this past week, a dad is reeling in a fish while her daughter is right there watching. I forgot the girls name, the dude yelled it out once but i forgot... for story purposes we'll just use "carol"
    if thats not bad enough, the line snaps and the dad FARMS the fish, and then he yells "CAROL! look what you did!" and he blames the daughter for the loss. ??? how messed is that??

STORY TWO

I was fishing SARL about a month back, and this dad and his son walks up to me asking what im using and stuff like that. The kid is amazed to see a few fish on my stringer because they have never caught a fish in their lives. Right then I get a bite, I set the hook and pass the rod to the kid. then the DAD TAKES the pole and reels in the fish

some fathers out there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast