Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Choosing a Reel

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    Nessie Hunter,

One question, do levelwinds interefere with casting distance at all?

Thanks
    Yes, they all do...

The disengaging ones (level wind is not engaged when casting) are not to bad...
    But I dont see anything that says this Reel stays engaged or disengages???????
    Havnt touched one yet, so I dont know....

I downloaded a pic of the Daiwa level Wind, but it wont load here...

All the Saltists, like Torium and a few others all have the same internals, gears and drags etc, the only change is the Frame width, Spool width & Depth.. So the 20 will haul as much as a 50 size with same 22#+ of drag....
    Just cant get as much line on them, and narrow spool will cast a little farther...

I want one!!!!

Guiding 150 ft of line back on to a spool is a "non-issue". I just can't see how that is a big deal....definately not enough of a hassle to merit getting a level-wind.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    Guiding 150 ft of line back on to a spool is a "non-issue". I just can't see how that is a big deal....definately not enough of a hassle to merit getting a level-wind.
    What's the disadvantages of a levelwind?
    Last edited by gavin310; 01-02-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Worthless for fishing pelagics (one of your criteria). You just don't need it if you're fishing offshore. (flylining on them is not ideal either)

Just learn to use an open face reel. You'll get the hang of it after you fish enough.

I have to agree with Sansou.

The more you use it, the easier it becomes, until it is like second nature.

And you will probably be cranking up more than just 150 feet of line on the groundfish.

Still can't go wrong with an open top conventional.

Load it with some braid and add the topshot of your choice.

That way you can change them to suit the type of fishing you are planning on doing.

The Spectra will last a long long long time.

You can replace your mono more often and you will be a lot less likely to lose fish.

I recommend Jerry Brown Hollow spliceable Line One ® Spectra.

You can splice in a new section if it gets too short.

You can also replace a damaged section anywhere on the spool and still retain 100% line strength.

Quote Originally Posted by BingJr View Post
    LOL,

Torium 14 is exactly what I was gonna say. Its one of a very few reals that could handle the task. High enough gear ratio for rock fish. Tough enough for 30lb grade tuna, could handle 20lb line for catfishing, and costs about 170.00. It would not be the ideal reel for any of these applications, but would get a passing grade in all categories.

u dont want a high gear ratio (fast) for RF.....it would work you.....for RF, you want the lower gear reels......

GD

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    u dont want a high gear ratio (fast) for RF.....it would work you.....for RF, you want the lower gear reels......

GD
    i guess that would also hold true for hauling in a 30lb. catfish, right? what's a typical low gear ratio? i have a little avet that's 5.3:1. is that low?

i guess that would also hold true for hauling in a 30lb. catfish, right? what's a typical low gear ratio? i have a little avet that's 5.3:1. is that low?
    no when youre catfishing, you can pump the fish...the higher gear ratio will be fine.......rockfishing, you DONT pump the fish, so your basically straight winding all the way to the boat....thats why you need a lower gear ratio then the 6.2:1 torium.

im assuming you have the SX? the only thing about that is, in order for you to have enuf line for RF with that reel, you will have to back it with spectra.....if you did that, you could use it for rockfishing, and even tuna fishing...i guess if you dont mind the spectra, you could use it for catfishing too.....

GD
    Last edited by ghetto dad; 01-02-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    no when youre catfishing, you can pump the fish...the higher gear ratio will be fine.......rockfishing, you DONT pump the fish, so your basically straight winding all the way to the boat....thats why you need a lower gear ratio then the 6.2:1 torium.

im assuming you have the SX? the only thing about that is, in order for you to have enuf line for RF with that reel, you will have to back it with spectra.....if you did that, you could use it for rockfishing, and even tuna fishing...i guess if you dont mind the spectra, you could use it for catfishing too.....

GD
    Yeah I got the SX. It's backed with some 50lb. spectra. It worked great for tuna, haven't rockfished with it though. As long as we're not going super deep it should be fine... hopefully they won't snip me again

so what would your recommendation be on a reel for my purposes?

Yeah I got the SX. It's backed with some 50lb. spectra. It worked great for tuna, haven't rockfished with it though. As long as we're not going super deep it should be fine... hopefully they won't snip me again

so what would your recommendation be on a reel for my purposes?
    its REALLY hard with the different fishing situations youre throwing out there man.....but like i said, youre already spectrad up......you can use that for all 3.....

GD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast