Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pontooners

Quote Originally Posted by one_leg View Post
    Glad to hear you caught some fish.

It sounds to me like security attempted to remedy the situation.

What I wanna know is how did the guys on the pontoon do.

FYI, I was not on the pontoon in question.
    Yeah I can't complain about the fish i caught OR the response of the Vine staff. They were quick to get out there and fix the situation without pissing off the boaters or shore fisherman. The people in the pontoons were doing OK, but they were catching them to the side of their pontoons, not near shore where they kept casting some of their poles. If I were them I would've cast all my poles to the side of their boat or further out since that's obviously where the trout were. Each pontoon probably caught 3 fish while they were there. People on shore only caught maybe 1. It picked up once the 'toons moved back.

But besides that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?

Quote Originally Posted by pasadenafishin View Post
    But besides that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?
    HAHA well played :)

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    If I were them I would've cast all my poles to the side of their boat or further out since that's obviously where the trout were. Each pontoon probably caught 3 fish while they were there. People on shore only caught maybe 1. It picked up once the 'toons moved back.
    They should have been working their baits a lil bit as the schools came through. When one person hooked up, it wasn't long before another, and then another, got fish further down the west shore that day. In fact, it seemed to be that way most everywhere people were getting bit on Sunday. As FeeltheSteel says, "Stitch that sucka!!!"

I had one trout follow my dropshotted GULP power worm almost up and over the rail, it was crazy. All my fish came from deeper water.

They should have been working their baits a lil bit as the schools came through. When one person hooked up, it wasn't long before another, and then another, got fish further down the west shore that day. In fact, it seemed to be that way most everywhere people were getting bit on Sunday. As FeeltheSteel says, "Stitch that sucka!!!"

I had one trout follow my dropshotted GULP power worm almost up and over the rail, it was crazy. All my fish came from deeper water.
    That's a good point. If I had a boat I would have definitely tried to follow the trout. Is the school's path predictable or do you just have to try and gauge which way they're heading?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin310 View Post
    That's a good point. If I had a boat I would have definitely tried to follow the trout. Is the school's path predictable or do you just have to try and gauge which way they're heading?

All the large schools I have ever seen have been going in a counterclockwise direction. Watch when people start hooking up and you might notice this also. Then you can get a good estimation of where they might appear next.

These videos might help give you some insight into how the fish might be behaving.

http://www.onlinefishinglog.com/fishvideos/

Look at the Brown trout vid where it picks up food off the bottom, then spits out out after tasting it. You don't always have to float your bait to get bit by a trout.

Some schools will circle around a boat in a ring and it can result in wide open fishing with artificials, including everything from hardbaits, spoons, spinners, jigs, plastics, and live bait. At these times almost anything will work. At other times they won't take anything you throw at them, no matter how you present it.

All the large schools I have ever seen have been going in a counterclockwise direction. Watch when people start hooking up and you might notice this also. Then you can get a good estimation of where they might appear next.

These videos might help give you some insight into how the fish might be behaving.

Look at the Brown trout vid where it picks up food off the bottom, then spits out out after tasting it. You don't always have to float your bait to get bit by a trout.

Some schools will circle around a boat in a ring and it can result in wide open fishing with artificials, including everything from hardbaits, spoons, spinners, jigs, plastics, and live bait. At these times almost anything will work. At other times they won't take anything you throw at them, no matter how you present it.
    That's some good info. Thanks for sharing.

Nice post O_L.

Thanks for the report Gavin, sorry about your frustrating situation.

TD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12