Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontooners

Default Pontooners

I hiked to the West Shore to get a good fishing spot where I wouldn't be totally crowded out. The least thing I expected was to be crowded out by boats. Two pontoon boats to be exact. One came literally 25 feet from the shore and they were casting towards the shore. Their lines were dropping 10-15 feet from the shore (I'm not exagerating here). I couldn't cast out without overlapping their lines. The first time they cast out towards me I put my hands up like "WTF?!" and they turned around and one younger guy started laughing. Wish I could've slapped that prick. The guy next to me called the office and security came out and asked the boat further away to move. He didn't talk to the boat in front of me because I wasn't standing in front of my poles and it didn't look like the pontoon was right in front of me. The guys in the other pontoon acted like they were pulling up anchor but as soon as security was pulling away they sat back down. By now the pontoon by me had drifted even closer. It was ridiculous. I called the office and ratted out the guys who didn't move and asked them to bring security back. He came back, gave the a-holes a stern talking to (they said they did move and must have drifted) and then went over to the boat near me. He said something very quietly to them that I couldn't hear and left. They didn't move. So I casted out over their lines AGAIN and obviously snagged them. I just yanked and broke my line. They gave in only after i made THEIR fishing experience uncomfortable, so they pulled up anchor and moved away.

Sorry the post is so long. If you didn't read the whole thing, the point is if you're in a boat don't be a-holes and give the shore fisherman some room. We hiked all the way out to the west shore to get a comfortable fishing spot, which is scarce at the Vine, so don't be greedy bastards and take our spot when you have access to tons of other great spots on the lake.

That sux...something like that has happened to all of us and it always sux. Not much you can do, but what you did. Call security and/or cross their lines to make their fishing experience "uncomfortable".

I hate when inconsiderate people fish thinking they own the water. you should have started throwing a kroc, kastmaster or something heavy to snag their lines and maybe pull one of their rods in the water.....maybe that would have gave them the idea that they were too close its alot easier for some1 in a boat to move around the lake to find the bite not like shore fisherman. I always stay outside of the bouy line giving people on shore the coutesy but I always see some a-hole fishing inside the lines...... on another note did you catch anything?

Quote Originally Posted by FISHSTIX View Post
    I hate when inconsiderate people fish thinking they own the water. you should have started throwing a kroc, kastmaster or something heavy to snag their lines and maybe pull one of their rods in the water.....maybe that would have gave them the idea that they were too close its alot easier for some1 in a boat to move around the lake to find the bite not like shore fisherman. I always stay outside of the bouy line giving people on shore the coutesy but I always see some a-hole fishing inside the lines...... on another note did you catch anything?
    Not while the pontoons were there My report was kinda weird cause I posted it under my "Hiking to the West Shore" question. Here's what it said:

"Thanks guys. Fishing was slow but steady. I got there at 8 and left at 2 with 3 fish. The guy next to me was hooking up like every 20 minutes. He had a super light setup with heavy weights and was casting further than everyone."

ah i see........you punkd the skunk and maybe the tooners next time......nice job!

This has been happening at Buena Vista as well. You hardly ever used to see boats during trout season. Now theres a bunch. They tend to anchor off the known good spots...which are few...and not near where you can park. It's usually after the people have hiked back/over to these spots and are already set up. We get there extra early and put in the work to get these spots. I never see any of the boat guys in the line when the gate opens.

I had two boats try to slide in on the spot I was fishing the other day...after they saw I was doing good. They try to be sly about it by drifting in.

I wouldn't say I'm mad at them, but it is rediculous, not to mention uncool.

always keep a setup with 30lbs test in your car for times like that just add a 8oz sinker and cast lol

Quote Originally Posted by FISHSTIX View Post
    ah i see........you punkd the skunk and maybe the tooners next time......nice job!
    Yep I punked it within 20 minutes. It's always nice hooking up early cause then for the rest of the day you can enjoy the fact that you won't be skunked

Quote Originally Posted by noho art View Post
    always keep a setup with 30lbs test in your car for times like that just add a 8oz sinker and cast lol :twisted:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Last edited by GET DA NET; 12-29-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Glad to hear you caught some fish.

It sounds to me like security attempted to remedy the situation.

What I wanna know is how did the guys on the pontoon do.

FYI, I was not on the pontoon in question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast