Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MiniJig Rod

Default MiniJig Rod

I was thinking about making a minijig rod. I contacted Kencor and they would not do anything custom. I like the slow action of their rods like the PAC73, but prefer a longer length for casting. So I decided to wrap my own, but wanted to know what suggestions for blanks people had? I was thinking of going with a fly rod in 3wt but I wanted a 8.5-9ft length. Most of the rods in that length are in 4wt. Are there any rod blanks suggested for 2lb test in my desired length? I currently use a 10' Shimano Convergence. The action is a little TOO fast for me. My friend's cheap Bass Pro MicroLite is PERFECT, only they do not offer it in sizes over 7.5ft anymore. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBound View Post
    I was thinking about making a minijig rod. I contacted Kencor and they would not do anything custom. I like the slow action of their rods like the PAC73, but prefer a longer length for casting. So I decided to wrap my own, but wanted to know what suggestions for blanks people had? I was thinking of going with a fly rod in 3wt but I wanted a 8.5-9ft length. Most of the rods in that length are in 4wt. Are there any rod blanks suggested for 2lb test in my desired length? I currently use a 10' Shimano Convergence. The action is a little TOO fast for me. My friend's cheap Bass Pro MicroLite is PERFECT, only they do not offer it in sizes over 7.5ft anymore. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Your requirements pretty much restricts you to fly rod blanks. The only spin blank I can think of that's close, is the G.Loomis 9.5' slow action St1141-2. Makes a nice bobber/minijig rod. I use this factory rod, but blanks are available.

Other good factory rods suitable for mini-jig fishing are the 7-9' Shimano Compres. Personally, I prefer the 7-7.5' for straight jig fishing and the 8-10' for bobber/jig fishing.

Look at Batson blanks. On Bloodydecks I saw a nice mini jig rod in the rod building forum built on a Batson 3wt. Good light blanks with nice sesnitivty and great price tag. Look'em up.

Default RE Batson Blanks

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I think I am going to have acid rods in San Dimas make it for me. I was surprised at how low their prices were compared to wrapping everything yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBound View Post
    Thank you so much for the suggestions! I think I am going to have acid rods in San Dimas make it for me. I was surprised at how low their prices were compared to wrapping everything yourself!
    Where in San Dimas is acid rods??

Oh, alright. I know C&M... I have never been in there to check it out yet...

go with fly wt.5 its better lenght in 7' to 8'6" but the 9' needed go with wt. 6 or 7 cast control for distance with 2lb test line

I was wrong! C&M will no longer wrap your rods. They are currently too busy. So they referred me to Mike Ahern. Today I ordered my Batson RX7 2pc 9' 3wt blank. It was not in stock and should come in about a week. Mike's number was disconnected so I e-mailed him. If he does not come through does anyone have a referral for wrapping? My friend told me to go to Johnny's Tackle in Pasadena. Also I feel 5 wt is way too heavy to cast powerworms and minijigs. I tried their Batson 5 wt and it is still a faster action than my Shimano. Actually if anyone knows of a 8.5-9' rod in 2wt I would prefer that. Thanks for your time.

Default Mini Jig Rod

Phenix makes some 8.5 and 9 foot rods for minijigging. They also sell blanks if you want your rods custom wrapped. Personally, my favorite rods in the new Elixir line-up are the 761 and 801 which have a lighter tip than the 8.5 and 9 foot line-up that is available.

Disclaimer: I am on the Phenix pro-staff.
    Last edited by rip555; 01-06-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rip555 View Post
    Phenix makes some 8.5 and 9 foot rods for minijigging. They also sell blanks if you want your rods custom wrapped. Personally, my favorite rods in the new Elixir line-up are the 761 and 801 which have a lighter tip than the 8.5 and 9 foot line-up that is available.

Disclaimer: I am on the Phenix pro-staff.
    Thanks a lot!!!! I will look in to them!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast