Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Kern River Questions

Default Kern River Questions

Despite my screenname it has been over a year since I fished for trout. I dont like paylakes or even lake fishing for trout around here so whats the deal with the Kern. I realize the flows are probably extreme now but has it been getting stocked lately? (someone said it wasnt to be stocked cuz some treehugger stuff..) Is the upper fishable now or do I need to wait?

If not the Kern do you have any suggestions for stream fishing around me? I live in Ventura and need to clean the salt off with some fresh water...
    I used to fish the SGR but it seems to far from me now.

Thanks for any info.

TroutChaser

The whole DFG/Hippy lawsuit thing resulted in all natural waterways NOT being stocked with trout. Man-made lakes and reserviors still get stocked, but not the Kern River.

That being said, it is more important now than ever to catch and release up there.

Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by mth1997 View Post
    The whole DFG/Hippy lawsuit thing resulted in all natural waterways NOT being stocked with trout. Man-made lakes and reserviors still get stocked, but not the Kern River.

That being said, it is more important now than ever to catch and release up there.

Good luck man!
    Good point mth1997, The DFG should make the entire Kern Catch and Release IMO. Otherwise its going to end up like SGR .

yea I miss the Sierras for some kick azzzzz fly fishing and some hot action trout fishing. I would say scope out the local mountains right by you there.