Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fly knots

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Nice instructions TJ! I use a nail knot tool, it has other uses, great pic for when you get a tangle/birds nest. But you are hard core, my uncoordinated fingers get in the way, that's also why I leave the fly tying to a buddy of mine.
    It took me like 8 months to figure out which tag to pull and how to keep the dang thing from exploding while I tie it
    Most people don't realize if you tie it by hand you can pinch the knot and pause along the way to make sure it's all going right. (or pause to light your smoke in anticipation of the perfectly finished knot! lol) For instance, I pinched the knot and held it with one hand comfortably while taking the photos with the other

I tried Matt's buddy Ron's nail knot tool but I couldn't figure out how to use it Go figure. To each his own!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 12-26-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    The TJ way.
    The whitish line is the fly line.
    The bright yellow stuff is supposed to be your clear fly leader or tippet depending on what you are fishing for.

straighten line

Double back and form first loop.

Form 4 or 5 loops and keep pinching them

Slip tag back through all the loops.

Pull main leader until it stops while keeping knot pinched.

Pull leader tag until it stops while keeping knot pinched

You end up with this..
    Snug the knot together neatly while pulling both ends of the leader and holding the flyline tight.

It will finish off nice and clean and you can trim it up. I thought I Was making a 4 turn but I must have been using 4 turns in the field when I did so. This comes out to 5 turns.

Takes a bit of practice but once you get it you wont lose it. It's all about finding your own trick to snug the knot down to where it comes out clean.
    thanks TJ i tried it today and it hield up great. thanks everyone for your help.

God bless

basscatcher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12