Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown Trout

a ten pound brown will dominate a ten pound bass that bass wouldnt stand a chance.

hhahaa

Call me crazy but you sound like a farmer bro!!!!!im sorry! I really am!!!

i suck at fishing.

but a mature brown trout with a full tail and sharp teeth will punk around bass and will eventually become the predator at that lake. minus the 30-40lb stripers...

Quote Originally Posted by farmerandy16 View Post
    i suck at fishing
    hey, you said it not me!!!!

Default Big mr brownie

HEY RANGER YOU BETTER HOPE THEY DIDNT SURVIVE ,SEEMS YOU DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT BIG BROWNS THERE VERY SMART AND VERY HARD TO CATCH,PLUS THERE TEETH CUT THE BEST OFF ALL THE TIME,BIG BASS AND STRIPERS ARE NOT HALF THE CHALLENGE,,,,t/o

Sorry bob!! Trout fishing is not my cup of tea!! Though i've caught plenty of browns in my day! It is clearly your opinion what a challenge is. Just like its my opinion that not very many of those browns will survive. The record cat @ d.v.l. Had a bunch of little browns in it, amagine how many other fish devoured those browns. But only time will tell how the future of the brown trout plays out at that lake. And it is also my opinion that they will ruin another great bass fishery, there's already striper's adding to the competition for food. Look what happened to castaic, its no where near what it used to be. It's slowly deteriorating, every year it's getting tougher. I mean sure anybody can do laps around a lake and get a hook up or two, but how much of a challenge is that? No skill required, the boat does all the work. I personally think it was a mistake on the d.f.g.'s part for stocking browns there. They might as well stock snakeheads, they eat bass fry too!!

I will always believe that the DFG should buy a truckload of Mt. Lassen triploids, or score a trade from Idaho DNR, and plant them in DVL. Why not plant a fish that can't spawn into a lake with no "facilities" in which to spawn? All those 'loids do is eat and grow and they will grow massive with DVL's forage base. 40-plus pound rainbows? No problem!

I'd rather catch and release a huge brown than a huge LMB, especially at DVL.

I personally dont think browns will grow a large niche in the food chain. The realitvely few that will be caught will be large, I think. Even in ecosystems where only trout are found, browns arent the top predators. If they coexist with another species like rainbows that are more energetic and numerous, they carve out a smaller niche. Browns are rarely a dominant species, so to speak. They just live long enough and grow wary enough to get large.
    The trout wont be the demise of DVL. Stripers, low water, high fishing pressure, and a decrease in the forage base resulting from low water will. Look at Castaic in its prime and then its slow period. And the Colorado River chain.Low water and an aggressive competing species like stripers to lower the forage base is all it takes.

Default Real trollers

IF YOU THINK ALL THERE IS TO TROLLING IS DROPPING SOMETHING OUT THE BACK AND CRUISING AROUND YOU REALLY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT , IT TAKES QUITE A WHILE TO LEARN HOW TO VERY SUCCESSFULL,AND THERES SOME MANY THINGS IN THE EQUATION IS SICK,AND THATS JUST FOR ONE TYPE OF TROUT,BECAUSE THE HOLD OVERS ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN FRESH STOCK TROUT AND THE BROWNS WILL BE EVEN DIFFERENT THAN THOSE TWO, STRIPERS ARE INTIRELY DIFFERENT THE EASIEST ARE LMB THEY ARE SO PREDICTABLE AND NOT MUCH OF A FIGHT,,,,t/o

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast