Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown Trout

DFG stocks those brownies very often, From what I know the last stockings of browns was about a month ago.

I find it odd that we have yet to see a post of a DV brown.. Remember, they planted browns at Castaic too back in 74'. They all ended up bass food.

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    Remember, they planted browns at Castaic too back in 74'. They all ended up bass food.

I wasnt alive back then

In deep lakes like DVL the browns go deep. They lose their brown coloration and turn silver with large spots, much like the lake run browns in the Great Lakes. Since DVL main forage base is an open water schooling fish, the browns will follow that. However, you can be there will be fish that roam shallow. They''l be rare, but Im willing to bet a few browns will be caught on rip baits fishing for bass.

agreed 100%

god i love dvl.

There were some Browns put in Silverwood way back in the 1970s and several nice 5 to 7 pound fish were caught a few years later. They did not spawn (as expected) so eventually they were all caught or died of old age. The CDFG should have kept up on the stocking every few years to maintain a trophy Brown Trout fishery. Hopefully they will do this at DVL.

Back in the early 80s I would fish for the Big Brown Trout at Lk. Silverwood , talking to a lk. legend Dale East , he showed me a few good spots and WHY , BUT NOT OWNING A BOAT BACK THEN , Well , I sure killed the catfish from shore back when , ha [ timing is everthing ] AS I THINK the DFG should of stocked brown trout Back in the early stocking days of DVL . Iam just hopimg these brown trout stockings can survive at this time in DVL AS THE FISH WON'T BE ABLE TO SPAWN , and the Striper Bass fishery is probably way beyond any kind of control , added to the fisherman who are wanting to catch and kill these fish when caught . But I quess I'll take these good tasting white meated fish as they come [ stripers ] and go to Big Bear LK. for my Trout . // db

Funny thing is without a primary tributary stream to spawn in, trout do not spawn successfully in lakes. Without moving water to migrate into and spawn, the trout fry do not hatch in good numbers, and success rates are very low. Thats why lakes that have large populations of spawning fish, such as Crowley and the Bishop creek drainage area lakes, have high success rates for spawning. So the browns at DVL will have to maintained through stocking. Luckily, browns are also the longest lived of the salmon subspecies called trout. However, remember with the state budget as is, auxiliarly stocking programs such as those for the browns are the first to be halted. Gregory once had a similar program that ran afoul of the state budget.

Default Brown stocking eyewitness

Quote Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
    DFG stocks those brownies very often, From what I know the last stockings of browns was about a month ago.

Earlier this month we came across a bunch of birds diving in a cove.

It was a school of stocker browns (and some rainbows) in a cove and the grandson had a good time on them for awhile with trout setups!!! They were biting anything. We didn't recognize them as the browns we usually catch up in the Sierras.

A couple of MWD people, who were there on the shore, said they were browns and went in the day before, which would be Dec10th. These were all about the size of a huddleston!

I hope they got out of the cove alright to spread out, because it would have been an easy meal for stripers.

Default Trout

I love it those browns that survive will be the bass frys worst nightmare,not that the holdover trout already get them pretty good,trout eatting bass thats too cool,big browns feeding every night with there big *** sharp teeth,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by troutonly View Post
    i love it those browns that survive will be the bass frys worst nightmare,not that the holdover trout already get them pretty good,trout eatting bass thats too cool,big browns feeding every night with there big *** sharp teeth,,,,,
    dont worry all the cats, striper, and bass had their feast on all the browns already!!dfg says that 1 % will survive. 1% cant even put a dent on any population. If you ask me the browns are not the predators in that lake!!!THATS A NICE PICTURE YOU PAINTED IN YOUR HEAD THOUGH!! ALL I SEE ARE BROWNS AND RAINBOWS SWIMMING FOR DEAR LIFE WITH SCHOOLS OF DOUBLE DIGIT BASS AND STRIPERS FOLLOWING FROM BEHIND WITH NAPKINS TIED AROUND THEIR NECKS AND A KNIFE AND FORK IN EACH OF THEIR PECTORAL FINS!!!
    Last edited by THROWBACK RANGER; 12-28-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast