Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Trout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Brown Trout

Where are all the trout and those brownies? there are no reports?

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Where are all the trout and those brownies? there are no reports?

Time my little grasshopper. Soon there will be many. Patience my son

So Far in the bellies of the monster Cats and Stripers.

The remaining young Brown trout that survive the Stripers, big Largemouths, catfish and Rainbows will no doubt end up growing quite large on the abundant shad and other baitfish. Also the large, deep and very clean lake will help produce a trophy Brown Trout fishery in 4 to 5 years. The CDFG just needs to put in several more large stockings of pan size brownies.
    The Browns have the potential of getting to DD and even into the 20+ range.

browns are stocked, never heard or seen anyone catch one.
    i personaly think they went deep, WAY deep.

To P- The browns are going to be fine in the Jewel. The last plant of DF&G browns were much larger then anticipated. They were not fingerlings, but averaged between 8-10". That was about a year ago. The DF&G biologists state that they expect a 10% survival rate of the total stockings. There's been way over 50K browns stocked that include fingerlings and the larger then anticipated ones. You can do the math. There are some browns already over the 20" range, but are very elusive. They are going to be very difficult to catch, but they'll be trophies for sure. We'll all hear about the first nice brown in a few years..........
    Barry A. Ogawa

I will always believe that the DFG should buy a truckload of Mt. Lassen triploids, or score a trade from Idaho DNR, and plant them in DVL. Why not plant a fish that can't spawn into a lake with no "facilities" in which to spawn? All those 'loids do is eat and grow and they will grow massive with DVL's forage base. 40-plus pound rainbows? No problem!

I'd rather catch and release a huge brown than a huge LMB, especially at DVL.

I personally dont think browns will grow a large niche in the food chain. The realitvely few that will be caught will be large, I think. Even in ecosystems where only trout are found, browns arent the top predators. If they coexist with another species like rainbows that are more energetic and numerous, they carve out a smaller niche. Browns are rarely a dominant species, so to speak. They just live long enough and grow wary enough to get large.
    The trout wont be the demise of DVL. Stripers, low water, high fishing pressure, and a decrease in the forage base resulting from low water will. Look at Castaic in its prime and then its slow period. And the Colorado River chain.Low water and an aggressive competing species like stripers to lower the forage base is all it takes.

Default Real trollers

IF YOU THINK ALL THERE IS TO TROLLING IS DROPPING SOMETHING OUT THE BACK AND CRUISING AROUND YOU REALLY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT , IT TAKES QUITE A WHILE TO LEARN HOW TO VERY SUCCESSFULL,AND THERES SOME MANY THINGS IN THE EQUATION IS SICK,AND THATS JUST FOR ONE TYPE OF TROUT,BECAUSE THE HOLD OVERS ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN FRESH STOCK TROUT AND THE BROWNS WILL BE EVEN DIFFERENT THAN THOSE TWO, STRIPERS ARE INTIRELY DIFFERENT THE EASIEST ARE LMB THEY ARE SO PREDICTABLE AND NOT MUCH OF A FIGHT,,,,t/o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast