Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tournament this weekend

Default Tournament this weekend

There seems to be some confussion regarding this weekend...in particular Saturday, over the spot by the boat launch, so I thought that I would post what I saw with my own eyes on behalf of the Irvine Staff.

I came to the lake to camp at 6pm friday night with my RV to try to learn how to fish a tournament. I was up like everyone else trying to get near the docs and launch ramp where the large fish tend to hold out. I did not know the rules, and set out my table and chair and rods holders in the spot closest to the ramp only to have the team phenix guys tell me that I would be disqualified if the staff saw me do that. I then removed all of the gear and waited with those guys who were very nice to me, and even helped me with some fishing tips. Once security drove the shore and did his rounds, he signaled with his flashing lights, we all ran down and set up according to who got there first. I had 4 in the rv and they had four or five, so that pretty much tied up the area.

Sorry to all of the guys that did not have as much LUCK as I did this weekend, but there was quite a bit of stress that came along with fishing with that many lines packed in a small area. So I think we all payed our dues (ie...28 degree weather all night and competing with incredible fisherman)

I have only been fishing for one year and was able to chance into a 8th place, and a 3rd place finish just by getting there early and being respectful to the "pros". You should have been there, I learned a ton of good info.

Better luck in the next one,

Chris

Thanks for giving us that story, we appreciate it. It just didn't seem "sporting" it was like five guys fishing in a stocked pond while the rest of the 100 some odd people watched through a window. I'm not saying it was thier fault or that they didnt brave the weather and earn it...it just was still not a fair sporting event.

Imagine the frustration for some of us. I'm very very easy going and I was getting tired of seeing the same guys hooking up in the same area, while nobody else was. As for paying our dues...I have fished this lake 2-3 times per week for months leading up to this. This is my home lake and I have worked hard to prepare for this tourney.....none of that mattered....all the fish were in one 30 ft radius of a HUGE lake....

Thanks for your honesty and great job catching some nice fish!!!!
    Last edited by MAVERICK27; 12-22-2008 at 05:04 PM.

The problem was those deformed fish, all they could do is swim in a circle.. You know what I mean Mav, I saw yours. All the smaller fish spread out.

Haha, you may be right..mine could only swim straight, but only had the thrust to carry him 4 inches per hour haha

They really need to do something about people fishing so close to the launch ramp. If boats have buoy lines we cant go in front of, They should have something as well to keep them off our Launch Ramp!
    For safety reasons alone At the very least, cone off 6 feet of the area on Tournament days.

I am not asking you to tell me anything secret. We know where you guys were fishing at.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the hot bait/jig/lure for you this weekend?

I know it is possible to construct a large enough pontoon boat to carry a stocking truck out into the middle of the lake. That way they could dump them all over the place. Open the throttle and then open the valve on the truck. But they would have to pass the cost on to us anglers, and I don't see that ever happening.

I will never get to fish that spot because I don't stand a chance in a foot race against the guys that were fishing the ramp this weekend.

Congrats to you on placing in the Masters event and winning all that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    They really need to do something about people fishing so close to the launch ramp. If boats have buoy lines we cant go in front of, They should have something as well to keep them off our Launch Ramp!
    For safety reasons alone At the very least, cone off 6 feet of the area on Tournament days.

excellent point

no more truck chasers @ the ramp : AMEN

Quote Originally Posted by mobilereef View Post
    There seems to be some confussion regarding this weekend...in particular Saturday, over the spot by the boat launch, so I thought that I would post what I saw with my own eyes on behalf of the Irvine Staff.

I came to the lake to camp at 6pm friday night with my RV to try to learn how to fish a tournament. I was up like everyone else trying to get near the docs and launch ramp where the large fish tend to hold out. I did not know the rules, and set out my table and chair and rods holders in the spot closest to the ramp only to have the team phenix guys tell me that I would be disqualified if the staff saw me do that. I then removed all of the gear and waited with those guys who were very nice to me, and even helped me with some fishing tips. Once security drove the shore and did his rounds, he signaled with his flashing lights, we all ran down and set up according to who got there first. I had 4 in the rv and they had four or five, so that pretty much tied up the area.

Sorry to all of the guys that did not have as much LUCK as I did this weekend, but there was quite a bit of stress that came along with fishing with that many lines packed in a small area. So I think we all payed our dues (ie...28 degree weather all night and competing with incredible fisherman)

I have only been fishing for one year and was able to chance into a 8th place, and a 3rd place finish just by getting there early and being respectful to the "pros". You should have been there, I learned a ton of good info.

Better luck in the next one,

Chris
    I'm glad you did well in the tourney. Additionally, I am more happy that you received some quality fishing techinques from the amazing Team Phenix. Perhaps they taught you some of the deeper intricacies they very well have mastered.
    ie: The pole & fish pass techinque

Congrats,
    Rodger - YamaFish
    Last edited by yamafish; 12-22-2008 at 07:16 PM.

I'm happy that you had a great time, learned something and placed in the derby. All positive things that will keep you interested in teh sport for a long time, and you will only get better beause of it.
    How some ever, I flatly and vehemently disagree with the lake's policy of allowing campers to set up before the second car gets through the gate, especially in a big money event like this where there are one or two spots that those big fish will hang ever so briefly. It's a no-win situation for the lake, I know, and short of not allowing camping (a sweet touch that needs to stay exactly how it is,) there's really not much that can be done.

Good point one leg...I think the only fair thing to do is plant the fish in different areas and make sure there is no leaks on where the fish plant was. If you see me out there in my little camo boat that looks like a bathtub with a big fat guy in it...come say hi.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast