Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time ocean fishing -- need advice

Default First time ocean fishing -- need advice

Hello!
    This is my first post on this board. It's a great forum!

I've been freshwater fishing since I was a small kid, I love it, but never tried sea fishing. This weekend I'm going on the Spitfire. Any advice, what to expect? I'll be renting the rod since I only have the freshwater stuff. I'll probably buy my own gear afterwards when I see exactly what I need.
    What kind of tackle do they provide? Using bait? Lures? Could any of my freshwater gear be useful?
    In general, what should I take with me?
    Also, what other expenses should I expect besides the fare/rental/license?

Any advice will be very helpful, thank you in advance!

Default Re: First time ocean fishing -- need advice

Quote Originally Posted by al35
    Hello!
    This is my first post on this board. It's a great forum!

I've been freshwater fishing since I was a small kid, I love it, but never tried sea fishing. This weekend I'm going on the Spitfire. Any advice, what to expect? I'll be renting the rod since I only have the freshwater stuff. I'll probably buy my own gear afterwards when I see exactly what I need.
    What kind of tackle do they provide? Using bait? Lures? Could any of my freshwater gear be useful?
    In general, what should I take with me?
    Also, what other expenses should I expect besides the fare/rental/license?

Any advice will be very helpful, thank you in advance!
    you need to factor in jackpot ($5-$10 depending on boat), sack ($1), food (appx $5.00 for breakfast and $5.00 for lunch, about $1 for waters/soda, beers are usually $2-$3) fish cleaning (about $1 a fish, if you decide to keep them) plus tip, if you had good service (about $10-$20 AFTER fish cleaning).....
    your freshwater gear will do great if you are going to catalina, you can use it for bass/perch/sheephead fishing.....but youll need the heavier gear for yellows/seabass...thats ASSUMING you go to the island..if they stay local for the barracuda, you will definitely need the heavier gear for throwing iron...also, if you are fishing for barries, then you need to purchase one or two jigs from the tackle office...peace

I get advice from the folks @ Turner's & whoever answers the phone at the boat landing. Best to talk the landing people 'cause they know what fish they'll be targeting.

bflf

Thanks for the information! As far as I understand the boat will stay local for barracuda.

Quote Originally Posted by al35
    Thanks for the information! As far as I understand the boat will stay local for barracuda.
    then definitely purchase a couple jigs...you might wanna get some heavys, they are easier to cast if your not familiar with casting a conventional...just remember, on the heavys, you need to wind faster than a light!!!!!

then definitely purchase a couple jigs...
    Do they sell them there, on the boat? Or should I buy something before?

Where do you live?

I'd really suggest going to your local tackle shop (as opposed to the chains and walmart and such) and talk to them. Let them know where you're going and what kind of trip it is. Most of these guys that own and work at the small shops love to fish and have put in their time and know what's really going on. Ask them to show you their stuff and point out the pros & cons of the different set-ups.

It's also a great way to meet new fishing buddies and most of the small shops also run charters which are a heckuva lot better than the cattle boat trips! :D

Beats the heck out of supporting the big corporate entities and the customer service is usually outstanding!

Also take along some of your fresh water tackle, generally at least 10 lb or so, if the opportunity comes up where you can use it it's great fun!

Thanks!
    Sorry for newbie questions, it's just that I have no idea what to expect. Sure it's better to buy the jigs at the local tackle shop (btw, I recently moved to West LA, anyone knows a good one here?), but I need to know what is provided with the rental rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisho
    Where do you live?

I'd really suggest going to your local tackle shop (as opposed to the chains and walmart and such) and talk to them. Let them know where you're going and what kind of trip it is. Most of these guys that own and work at the small shops love to fish and have put in their time and know what's really going on. Ask them to show you their stuff and point out the pros & cons of the different set-ups.

It's also a great way to meet new fishing buddies and most of the small shops also run charters which are a heckuva lot better than the cattle boat trips! :D

Beats the heck out of supporting the big corporate entities and the customer service is usually outstanding!

Also take along some of your fresh water tackle, generally at least 10 lb or so, if the opportunity comes up where you can use it it's great fun!
    I AGREE, AFTER HE DECIDES IF HE WANTS TO PURCHASE BETTER GEAR, BUT HES JUST ASKING ABOUT THIS TRIP....AS FAR AS IF THEY SELL THEM THERE, CALL THE LANDING AND ASK THEM,,,,IM SURE THEY SELL PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING YOU NEED FOR A DAYS FISHING, MOST LANDINGS DO...PEACE

Buying tackle at a local shop is usually cheaper than at the landing and they also have a lot larger selection.

More for less and the above benefits! :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast