Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalina sailboat trolling suggestions plz?

Default Catalina sailboat trolling suggestions plz?

Hey guys, love your forum.

Every year (late june or early july) we trailer our 25 ft. motorsailor out from Phoenix and spend a week in your beautiful waters. We launch out of MDR and sail or motor out to Catalina. On the way I usually troll a line (50#) out back (about 50 yrds) in hopes of catching something on the way. So far no luck on the trolling. This year I have invested in a downrigger to get the lure deeper. For lures I have been using cedar plugs and squid lures. Not looking for any specific fish, just something tasty. Although snagging a YT would be nice.

My question is what am I doing wrong? Any sugestions on modifications to my rig? I would like to stay with lures rather than fresh bait but would like opinions one way or the other.

Can anyone help a zonie out?
    Thanks
    Eric in Phoenix

first off...welcome to the board! i dont know much about trolling but if you want to catch some fish....when you get to catalina, drop a 20# line with dropper loop and a 3oz weight with a strip of squid on the hook and your gonna catch a fish of some sorts for sure.

Troll speed issues? Most boats in the summer keep it around 10kts or less... If you can't maintain that, try steering in "S" curves.

Thanks for the welcome to the board! Our troll speed is usually about 6-7 knts. Thats about as fast as we can go. Hey victor, this may sound super ignorant but whats a dropper loop? :)

Thanks
    Eric

hope this helps http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniq ... _loop.html
    attach a 4 oz weight to the bottom of your line. drop your line to the bottom and youll eather catch some rockfish, perch, sheephead...

Pull some bigger rapalas or other similar baits. I think they are CD14's maybe, in sardine or mackeral patterns. I scored 5 or 6 bonita last year off my friends 22ft cat w/ a sardine pattern rapala... all under sail. Good Luck!

- farmacist

Thanks for the link victor. I get what you mean now. How far up from the weight do you rig the dropper loop? I havent fished that type of rig before and will definately give it a shot. Fresh or frozen squid make a diffenence?

Farmicist,
    I think I already have some rapalas but if I dont I will pick some up. What speed were do guys running and how deep was the lure? Attached is a picture of the last time I fished Catalina. Little foggy that week. The other is of my little motorsailor, a La Paz 25 at anchor 30 miles out of Guaymas Mexico.

Oh and if any of you guys can reccomend a good fishing supply near Marina Del Rey that would be great. The only one I know of is the West Marine and they didnt really seem to be very knowledgable.

Thanks
    Eric

id say 18"-24". fresh or frozen will both work. and like farmacist said, those lures wil work for bonita. as well as iron jigs. for bonita i have this 4 1/2" megabait iron in metalic sardine color that works very well.

Where's your fishing rod in the pic? :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast