Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to buy float tube --Need help

Default Trying to buy float tube --Need help

I have some basic questions if someone could help...

1. U or V shape, does it matter? (I think open is better?)
    2. Should I spend $100 or $400, does it matter? (Is it the number of bladders?)
    3. Waders or Wet/Dry Suit (like for surfing or diving)?
    4. How much do I need to spend on fins?
    5. What other accessories do I need? (rod holder? Fish finder?)
    6. Anything else I need to know?
    7. Can someone please go with me just once, so I don't drown? (This coming Sunday?)

Thanks for your help.
    B.E.
    Last edited by BassEngineer; 12-01-2008 at 01:06 AM.

I can answer #3.. get breathable waders

1. U or V shape, does it matter? (I think open is better?).
    "V" shape is better,
    most room,
    Best flotation.. Seem faster??

2. Should I spend $100 or $400, does it matter? (Is it the number of bladders?)
    $$ isnt as much an issue as what fits your needs...
    I Like my ODC 420. the Valves are placed so I can get to them while on the water..
    2 main Bladders for safety..
    Has lasted several years without any issues..

3. Waders or Wet/Dry Suit (like for surfing or diving)?
    Waders;
    Stocking foot, BREATHABLES....
    Most versatile, Hot & cold weather.
    Get them a little large & can add layers under in Icy water..
    Same Fins will fit stocking foot or bare foot (winter summer)..

4. How much do I need to spend on fins?
    I always recommend Hot Spots ($80 class). But whatever you can afford is a good place to start.. Any will work..
    5. What other accessories do I need? (rod holder? Fish finder?)
    Tethers are a big plus... For rods and accessories that might fall off or get dropped. You will be a spaz when you first start, and once it is dropped, it is Gone!!! (I Can post pics of my home made tethers if any one wants easy & cheap, work great)
    6. Anything else I need to know?
    Legally required:
    Flotation device, readily accessible.
    Horn or whistle (warning noise maker)
    Lights at dark or restricted visibility times (fog etc)..

7. Can someone please go with me just once, so I don't drown? (This coming Sunday?)

Your in Irvine, should be a ton of Tubers in the area...

Good luck & have fun....

V shape is faster.

spend enough for an FC4 deluxe LCS. This is the most comfortable tube on the market.

Breathable waders.

Force Fins or Hot spots.

Get a berkley 3 tube rod holder or make one from PVC as did Socal Bassman and strap them on.

DO NOT FORGET to get ROD FLOATERS, or it is only a matter of time before you lose a spiffy combo to the drink!

And of course, the life jacket, whistle or airhorn and a glowstick in the low visibility conditions.

Could you post a pic of your tethers and how you use them?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dar30 View Post
    Could you post a pic of your tethers and how you use them?
    Thanks.
    I didn't like the idea of tying or clipping things to my rod.
    Sometimes I need to quickly swap rods and cast into boils.
    I elected to go with these floaters after seeing Socal Bassman's review a while back. Basically some foam with a velcro strap.

That's some good info guys. Thanks again.

What do you guys think of something like this?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...loat-Tube.html

V shaped tubes for sure. The FC4 is probably the best bang for the buck. The deluxe model can be had for a little bit more. It's basically the same tube as the FC4, only it has the inflatable seat which is supposed to be more comfortable than the foam seat. That Caddis Navigator seems to be a nice tube. Although, having fished out of a Caddis in the past, the majority of their tubes have the sling type seats. Though comfortable, you sit lower in the water.

Breathable waders are the way to go. Like Nessie said, get them a little large so you can layer clothes underneath them for the colder months. As for fins, Hotspots seem to be the popular choice around here. Others, myself included, use a good pair of dive fins. They usually run $60-$70 for a good pair. As a beginner in tubing, I'd suggest you stay away from the long dive fins. They offer maximum thrust, but they can tire you out quickly.

Of course a PFD (required), some type of noise maker, and a double action pump are basic necessities. You might also want to look into wearing neoprene boots to wear over the stockingfoot waders. On a final note, don't put too much thought on adding rod holders and a fish finder on your tube at first. Spend some time out there getting acquianted with your new ride. Once you are comfortable and got the mechanics down, then it's time to start thinking about add ons.

so is the extra money worth it on the Fishcat 4 deluxe?? Or no, just get the regular one.

For $65 more than the FC4, you can ride higher out of the water, (yes, pretty unbelievable you can ride higher out of the water than the normal FC4!), The seat cushions are inflatable, which means they are also adjustable tension and cushion on your bum, and the pontoons don't fold inward and cramp your legs like I thought they would with an inflatable bladder separator.

The FC4 deluxe also folds up smaller since it has no foam cushions. It would be the model I chose if I wanted to pack it into back country lakes. Although it is still 14lbs as with the normal FC4 and my caddis nevada is only 6lbs..
    but the dang seat on the caddis nevada cuts off circulation to my legs quickly and is very uncomfortable.

But yes, if you can afford the extra money, the FC4 Deluxe is worth it in my opinion. They did a great job on both the FC4 and the FC4 Deluxe either way, and you'll be happy with both models.

FC4 Deluxe LCS below. You can see a yellow rod floater on my rod too in the pic.

p.s.. check ebay for the best deal on the deluxe. $200 shipped if you look around! $265 plus tax at bass pro =(
    The outcast site lists it as $229msrp. The standard FC4 is now $195 at BPS, and you can get the Deluxe for $5 more brand new on ebay.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 12-02-2008 at 07:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast