Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to buy float tube --Need help

Thanks again for all the help fellas...

I think I have to re-evaluate my budget. I was hoping I could get everything for $200-250...but it's not looking like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BassEngineer View Post
    That's some good info guys. Thanks again.

What do you guys think of something like this?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...loat-Tube.html
    i have that one and used it only once...it is very comfortable to cast on!I like it,,,lol,,,

$250 will get you going easy! Seriously, if you don't use ebay for cheap new and used gear, now is the time to start.
    Just make sure to keep tabs on those ebay goofs.

A used Fc4 going for $110 in the classified section of this site. Then add some fins, waders and a rod holder to fill that other $140.

You may not be able to get all the best gear in each department for your tube, but you can always upgrade later. The most important thing to start with is a good tube, good fins, waders and a life jacket. Life jackets are cheap at walmart, but be sure to test it once to make sure it holds you and your gear. A cheap life jacket that doesn't work is no good! lol
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 12-02-2008 at 07:18 PM.

OK ....I am seriously considering getting this float tube at a local store for $59....
    http://www.jtbuckonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=99
    OR should I pay more and get a "V" shaped tube?

I think I am going to get these fins:
    http://www.google.com/products?q=cad...num=1&ct=title

...still researching waders.... I have no idea what to spend yet.

BE – lot’s of great suggestions posted so far. I've been tubing for over 15 years now. For years, I was in a Caddis Pro 1000. Last year, I stepped up to a Fish Cat which I purchased on sale at Sport Chalet for $120 (regular price was $160). The "V" shape and the slick bottom makes it fast in the water. Plus you sit up higher to see the fish better. Another advantage of sitting up high is you don’t get as cold (especially when the lakes are icing out in the Sierra’s). But those foam seats take up lots of room when storing the Fish Cat. I like the idea of an inflatable seat…

As mentioned multiple times above, breathable waders is the trick. Wearing fleece sweats and ski socks keeps you warm on those cold mornings. Also, if you move from lake to lake, getting in and out of the breathable waders is quick (you don’t want to get your car seats wet when driving, even worst, getting your buddy’s car seats wet – that will be the last time you’re allowed in that car!).

I like my scuba fins with my Fish Cat – I can really move quickly around any lake. You can get some great deals at Play it Again Sports on used fins but be sure to bring your waders in with you to make sure you get the correct size.

Look for a tube with lots of pockets and D rings. I also picked up some hiking straps to carry my tube on my back for those short hikes from the car to the lake. (I will pop on my roller blades to get up and down those paved roads getting to the lake with my tube on my back and rod/fins in my hands.)

Other items include a PFD, whistle, electric air mattress pump then top off with a double action pump, net, hemostats tied to a D ring on by tube (instead of needle nose pliers) and stringer. I picked up a used Fish Buddy on EBay for half the cost of a new one (including shipping). Another suggestion is picking up a pair of (fake) crocs so you don’t wear out the bottoms of your wader booties when walking around.

There's nothing like getting around on a lake to catch fish where those shore anglers can't cast to and those boaters are pulling and dropping those heavy anchors...

OK ....I am seriously considering getting this float tube at a local store for $59....

The Tube is fine....

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get those fins...

You have to wear shoes/boots with those, and strap your shoed foot in them.. They are CRAP.....
    Get anything but those... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    For $65 more than the FC4, you can ride higher out of the water, (yes, pretty unbelievable you can ride higher out of the water than the normal FC4!), The seat cushions are inflatable, which means they are also adjustable tension and cushion on your bum, and the pontoons don't fold inward and cramp your legs like I thought they would with an inflatable bladder separator.

The FC4 deluxe also folds up smaller since it has no foam cushions. It would be the model I chose if I wanted to pack it into back country lakes. Although it is still 14lbs as with the normal FC4 and my caddis nevada is only 6lbs..
    but the dang seat on the caddis nevada cuts off circulation to my legs quickly and is very uncomfortable.

But yes, if you can afford the extra money, the FC4 Deluxe is worth it in my opinion. They did a great job on both the FC4 and the FC4 Deluxe either way, and you'll be happy with both models.

FC4 Deluxe LCS below. You can see a yellow rod floater on my rod too in the pic.

p.s.. check ebay for the best deal on the deluxe. $200 shipped if you look around! $265 plus tax at bass pro =(
    The outcast site lists it as $229msrp. The standard FC4 is now $195 at BPS, and you can get the Deluxe for $5 more brand new on ebay.

sweet set up. I am about to get what you got showing in the pix. but not sure on some of the acc.

are those outcast fins you got there?
    you have stockfoot or bootfoot wader?
    if stockfoot do you strap straight into the fins?

Nessie nailed it. Follow his advise. I used his advise when I was doing research before I purchased my tube. I got the Fish Cat 4 (old style). AWESOME tube!!! You'll never want to fish from shore again.
    You need the BREATHABLE waders!! Way more comfortable. You want them to fit like a pair of "clown pants". Make sure you have free movement while wearing them. I brought the clothes I wear while fishing to test fit the waders in the store. Most lakes don't allow "body contact" while you're tubing and a "surfing wetsuit" isn't water tight, so it won't be allowed.

Having fished several styles of float tubes, I would never buy a tube that is set up like that. Like most people have mentioned here, the V-shaped tubes are far and away the best tube to use. I now have the ODC 420 which is priced pretty cheap for V-shaped tubes, and being 6'4" 270 lbs, I have no issues staying high and dry. Those pontoon style, donut style and U shaped tubes are uncomfortable, unstable, and SLOW as heck (meaning more energy wasted kicking around to spots) compared to V-shaped tubes. Take it from us experienced tubers and dont waste your money. Youll just end up upgrading to a V-shaped tube eventually anyways.

OK..OK...TJ, Nessie, Baad you have convinced me.

I bought the Fish Cat 4!!
    I did a lot of research and Cabelas.com has it for $159 and a $20 rebate for purchases over $100.

So after shipping it was $153.95...cheapest I could find on the internet.

Now the next biggest discrepancy in price is waders. I have seen breathable waders from $50 to $500. How much do I need to spend?

TIA...again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast