Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new rod/reel

Default Need new rod/reel

Going on an overnight trip in 2 weeks out of san diego and want to get a new setup for the trip. My guess is we will be paddy hopping for yellows, dorado, and maybe some tuna? What would be a good rod reel setup for this. Looking to maybe spend 400 total. Was looking at the Avet reels the blue anodizing really catches my eye and maybe a 2 speed. Any suggestions. Im pretty much a rookie.

Default Set Up !!!!

http://www.pennreels.com/01_products/re ... /113hn.htm
    Get this reel and buy an 8' Jig Stick and you are good to go. Can do for under 400$ easy......... :wink: :wink: :wink:
    Peace

how rookie is "rookie"?

I think the perfect setup for you would be a rental. they usually have good gear and the experience would give you an idea on what to look for when you decide to buy the rod.

you dont want to go out with your brand new avet without knowing how to use it correctly, becasuse then it doesnt really matter how much you spend or how nice your gear is. you wont catch that much more fish with great gear than the gear you can rent (which is still good stuff btw). Seaforth has sturdy rods attached to TLD's for rentals and thats already a great setup.

In anycase, the senator would be the LAST reel i would buy and its worse than any rental you would get out of SD. that thing is so slow, even if you could cast in the right place with an iron or a jig or what not, youd be tired by the 10th cast from reeling so much. Also, think about how fast your retrieve has to be in order to entice a bite. Aint gonna happen.

Again, just do yourself a favor and rent a rod man. if you want to get your gear, then get it after you see what you might like. plus the deckhands will tell you everything you need to know about gear in case you have on-the-spot questions.

good luck

Nick

Default Fresh One!

Talk to fresh one! He has got all that you need for this type of trip and you will spend way less. 714-785-6422 his name is Mike and let him know tightlines sent you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by n1ckxlam
    how rookie is "rookie"?

Nick
    Im not a complete rook. I just started fishing last summer and went atleast once a week on a moo moo. I currently have have a jigmaster 500 and a newell 332. I just didnt think this would be enough for down south and have been looking at the avets (specifically the mxj) since the fred hall show. I have no problems casting the newell, actually I think I am better then some that I have seen.

$400? daiwa saltist and calstar 800M or 800L..

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve
    Quote Originally Posted by n1ckxlam
    how rookie is "rookie"?

Nick
    Im not a complete rook. I just started fishing last summer and went atleast once a week on a moo moo. I currently have have a jigmaster 500 and a newell 332. I just didnt think this would be enough for down south and have been looking at the avets (specifically the mxj) since the fred hall show. I have no problems casting the newell, actually I think I am better then some that I have seen.
    ya man, you'll be fine with the newell. but the jigmaster might be a little slow for what youre going for, but you can always use that for bait.

if you're anyhting like me, ill just use a trip as an excuse to get new gear anyways. ill ask people if i should but its not like i care what they think kuz i know im gonna buy it anyways lol

good luck

Nick

What do you guys think of the Avet MXJ 6/4 It is a 2 speed reel. If I ended up getting this reel would it be ok for local fishing (1/2 day and 3/4 day trips) or would it be overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve
    What do you guys think of the Avet MXJ 6/4 It is a 2 speed reel. If I ended up getting this reel would it be ok for local fishing (1/2 day and 3/4 day trips) or would it be overkill?
    Completely.

I have a SX and it's more than plenty. I feel sorry for the fish sometimes because of the power and stability the reel gives me. 2-speeds are for 5+ day trips where you "may" end up fighting with a 200#+ BFT!

I'm thinking of a MXJ 1-speed for 2 day trips, with a 4/0 Senator for backup.

Your Newell 332 will work perfect on a 800M with 25# on Dorado, YT, and some Tuna...I use mine alot on those trips...

Although its nice to have a 30# and a 50# setup just in case you guys get into the bigger models of tuna....

This Saturday we are having a huge sale at my shop at 8 am. (Baja Fish Gear in Lomita)

You might want to look into a Baja special $144.99

Rods will be on sale too...

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast