Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motor shaking / loss of power.. any ideas?

Ohh i just remembered, Is your gas tank full? Are you opening the valve? You can't have the gas tank completely full. Empty some gas out and i bet it will run like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterTailRoid View Post
    Hey that was my boat also
    Rob that made me laugh out loud when I read that for some reason! You are all over the place

Hope your boat is back up to speed with minimal efort and funds, good luck Heman.

TD

Bassmaster818 - You and I truly have a problem with buying too many boats... Is there some kind of outreach we can go to like AA?
    Dude, I'm a mess.. I got two boats again... I need help - for reals
    How many boats are you up to bro at this time?

ok.. pics of that boat in the beginning......

That boat is a fish killer...

I then sold it to RTR
    Heman - history on your ride...I purchased it from the orig owner. He is a fishing guide in Alaska. He bought this ride to leave down here at a relatives home in So Cal. He then decided that he wanted to sell it..

Post some pics of the boat RTR and Heman
    curious to see how the boat has changed...

peace
    YamaFish

Quote Originally Posted by yamafish View Post
    Arghhhhhhhh...... That's my old Duroboat / Yamaha

Heman,

Take it here Johnson Marine in Ontario .. http://www.johnson-marine.com/Johnso...e/Welcome.html
    Ask for Brian. He is the very best Yamaha mechanic around.

While you are there...
    Go pick up some Yamaha 4 stroke ringfree from them.

If you troll all day long.. make sure before you head on back to run a couple of "hot laps"

You want a deal on a near new Crestliner I/O drive 18.5 ft?

YamaFish
    Yes, they were closed yesterday.. i was going to call them today or tomorrow.. I will ask for Brian. thanks.

Hey that was my boat also I sure miss that boat. Roger he doesn't troll,, He is a bass master.

Heman im sure its something minor, probably just needs a good carb cleaning. BTW post some pics,,i would love to see what ya did to it.
    Yup.. i don't troll.. YET. =) gotta learn everything... i figure its something small.. been fishing on it every week or so... so i couldnt bring it in for the annual service like i wanted.

Ohh i just remembered, Is your gas tank full? Are you opening the valve? You can't have the gas tank completely full. Empty some gas out and i bet it will run like a champ.
    ok. i will check that.. the gas tank is pretty full... and yes the valve is open. i'll check it out with less fuel in there... as well.. do you know why it would do that?

Bassmaster818 - You and I truly have a problem with buying too many boats... Is there some kind of outreach we can go to like AA?

I then sold it to RTR
    Heman - history on your ride...I purchased it from the orig owner. He is a fishing guide in Alaska. He bought this ride to leave down here at a relatives home in So Cal. He then decided that he wanted to sell it..

peace
    YamaFish
    RTR and Yamafish... i have not had a chance to do anything to it yet.. just moved some rod holders around.. cut the trailer tongue down... i have plans for it.. just no time... every weekend i wanted to do something. .i just end up going fishing instead.. haha..

i will definitely keep you updated... Thanks for the history and information guys.. i will keep you updated...

Quote Originally Posted by HEMAN View Post
    so the previous trip. my engine started acting up... and this past trip over the weekend.. she just didn't want to cooperate... takes a bit to start up.. but i think that could just be the cold weather..

so the motor shakes pretty bad now once it's running.. and then at full throttle.. it's not even at full power.. i would say it's running 30% .. the rentals at Skinner were passing me up... it took forever to move around...

anyone have any ideas? it's a Yamaha 15 hp 4stroke.

Going to check replace the spark plugs next.. i'm thinking maybe one of the cylinders is not firing?

I am going to bring it in for a normal service none the less.. but not sure if they will diagnose anything for me without charge... just thought i'd ask here to see if anyone has any good info.. thanks guys..
    Hey Heman, I had that same thing happen to my motor(Yamaha 15hp four stroke) took it in and all they said is the carb needs rebuilding (what???? Its only 8months old) so I take the carb apart, what do you know? NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

My question is: what gas are you using? is it Premium? I have a hunch that regular is the gas to run in these motors, I went back to regular and have not had that issue since, still scratching my head on that one............. Kelly k

Quote Originally Posted by kelly k View Post
    Hey Heman, I had that same thing happen to my motor(Yamaha 15hp four stroke) took it in and all they said is the carb needs rebuilding (what???? Its only 8months old) so I take the carb apart, what do you know? NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

My question is: what gas are you using? is it Premium? I have a hunch that regular is the gas to run in these motors, I went back to regular and have not had that issue since, still scratching my head on that one............. Kelly k
    i am running premium... come to think of it.. the problem did start when i finally filled up the tank with 91 octane... i will dump the gas and try regular next... i will add it to my list of things to check... thank you very much for the info Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by HEMAN View Post
    i am running premium... come to think of it.. the problem did start when i finally filled up the tank with 91 octane... i will dump the gas and try regular next... i will add it to my list of things to check... thank you very much for the info Kelly.
    yeah heman...91 octane is too flammable for outboards....89 is the highest you can put....regular gas is also a little thinner too....it burns slower so the motor doesn't do too much work(or at least that's what I think....lol)i've also noticed the difference on my 9.9 merc 4 stroke and regular gas makes it run way better....

I then sold it to RTR

peace
    YamaFish
    oh really???lol....i only have 2 boats and a jet ski.One of my boats is my main 17' lowe bass boat fully loaded....the other one is a 9' achilles inflatable which I like to use in the harbors because I don't really have to completely clean it like the other one.I also have a 3.5hp Nissan,5hp Nissan,9.9hp Mercury 4stroke,and a couple trolly motors.Also My yamaha jet ski...which I got 4 free running well...i'm more of the deal finder and sell my boats at a low price as well....win,win...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by kelly k View Post

Utilize the Warranty that came with it. I'm getting nervous about my motor after hearing this...

Not "thread jacking" but could this mean that I might not be getting the most out of my motor too??? Since I bought it I've only used 91
    Last edited by lizzay; 11-20-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast