Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Nacimiento 11-15-2008

Default Lake Nacimiento 11-15-2008

Spotties are going off at this lake!! had 3 in the live well by 7:30AM Tourney started at 6:13AM. Turned in 5 for a total of 5.79 winners had 6.47 or something like that we took 6th. I caught probably 20 fish on 4.5 inch robo's DS rigged. The fish would hammer the worms no short bites!!

Question to fellow fnn members: I use the small DS hooks gama or the owner mosqito's, every time I caught a fish it would be hooked in the mouth,lips etc. my partner was texas rigging all day and every fish would swallow the hook, why wouldn't the bigger hooks(texas) be hooked in the mouth and the smaller hooks swallowed?
    Last edited by dalean08; 11-17-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dalean08 View Post
    Question to fellow fnn members: I use the small DS hooks gama or the owner mosqito's, every time I caught a fish it would be hooked in the mouth,lips etc. my partner was texas rigging all day and every fish would swallow the hook, why wouldn't the bigger hooks(texas) be hooked in the mouth and the smaller hooks swallowed?
    I believe that the shape of the hook helps hook fish in the mouth, not the size; kinda like circle hooks.

With regular bend hooks, it all depends on the angler. Your partner was probably swinging way too late. I swing when I feel a bite...I don't let the fish "inhale" the bait. You were probably swinging when you were getting bit. I bet if you gave that fish 5 seconds, he'd swallow your drop shot hooks as well.

thats what i was gona say...swingin late= swallow job!

I was swinging late for sure among all the rocks. The rocks feel like bites but when it would continue is when I new I had a fish about the 3rd or 4th tink is when I would swing for the fence

the way the hooks are rigged might play a role too.
    when you rig a hook dropshot, the line is perpendicular to the hook. so when the fish inhales it, the perpendicular line might prevent the hook from getting inhaled too far.

whereas the texas rig is at the end of the line, where it can get fully inhaled.

dunno. just throwin that out there.

while passing the peace pipe around last night what about the size of the bait? could the fish be gulping it down so it wont swim back out? just a stoney thought!

Quote Originally Posted by midgettosser1 View Post
    the way the hooks are rigged might play a role too.
    when you rig a hook dropshot, the line is perpendicular to the hook. so when the fish inhales it, the perpendicular line might prevent the hook from getting inhaled too far.

whereas the texas rig is at the end of the line, where it can get fully inhaled.

dunno. just throwin that out there.
    That's the answer right there, the line on the drop shot rig will most times prevent the swallow, the other rig is at the end of the line with no resistance from the tag line and weight. Nice call Midgettosser1

Quote Originally Posted by makersmark View Post
    That's the answer right there, the line on the drop shot rig will most times prevent the swallow, the other rig is at the end of the line with no resistance from the tag line and weight. Nice call Midgettosser1
    Or, it could be that the drop shot rig is always fished 'taut,' with regular contact with your rig.

That means you can telegraph bites a lot quicker than you can with techniques that are fished on slack line, like texas rigs.

I've seen people fishing T-Rigs get bit, and not even know it, and they set the hook once their line starts moving, which by that time, means the fish most likely has swallowed the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Or, it could be that the drop shot rig is always fished 'taut,' with regular contact with your rig.

That means you can telegraph bites a lot quicker than you can with techniques that are fished on slack line, like texas rigs.

I've seen people fishing T-Rigs get bit, and not even know it, and they set the hook once their line starts moving, which by that time, means the fish most likely has swallowed the bait.
    Slack will always play a part in swallowing a hook no matter what rig, but good advice non the less

ok cool thanks for the info guys
    Last edited by dalean08; 11-25-2008 at 06:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast