Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mackerel recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRED KILLA View Post
    Wow a tsp of salt you must love your sacks salty.

Bigred
    wow... lol

Just soak it in milk overnight, and you'll be amazed at how much of that fishy flavor can be removed. As for a good recipe, tempura batter and fry it, and use Soy Vey Veri Veri Terriyaki with a bit of wasabi mixed in as a dipping sauce. Simple and delicious. Works good for smelt too.

that sounds pretty good. im going to give it a try. i know there are others recipes out there. good tip on the milk.

the sushi bars also soak the saba in something overnite to reduce the fishy flavor. i think it has vinegar in it. i'll have to ask next time. i have had whole broiled smelt at a sushi bar that were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    that sounds pretty good. im going to give it a try. i know there are others recipes out there. good tip on the milk.

the sushi bars also soak the saba in something overnite to reduce the fishy flavor. i think it has vinegar in it. i'll have to ask next time. i have had whole broiled smelt at a sushi bar that were awesome.
    Yeah, i wonder why more people don't view smelt as a viable food source. I prefer it as a food over its bait uses. Clean firm white meat, and you can eat it raw if you want. Tastes a lot like a rockfish actually. Catch a nice 10-16"er and you are set.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Just soak it in milk overnight, and you'll be amazed at how much of that fishy flavor can be removed. As for a good recipe, tempura batter and fry it, and use Soy Vey Veri Veri Terriyaki with a bit of wasabi mixed in as a dipping sauce. Simple and delicious. Works good for smelt too.
    Yeah that sounds like something i should try... i had Saba for the first time last week and was surprised to find it quite good actually, could the fact that the mackerel is uncooked maybe suggest that when it is cooked the taste of fishiness comes out more?

Quote Originally Posted by BishopTrouter View Post
    Yeah that sounds like something i should try... i had Saba for the first time last week and was surprised to find it quite good actually, could the fact that the mackerel is uncooked maybe suggest that when it is cooked the taste of fishiness comes out more?
    The cooking process only imparts that "fishiness" if you allow the juices to sit with the meat during the process. Try BBQing a few fillets some time. It comes out a lot like Wahoo. If you are gonna deep/pan fry or bake it, definitely soak it in milk overnight (if you have cats or dogs, they absolutely LOVE the runnoff when you drain the meat the next day). Another good tip is that lime juice kills a lot of that fishy flavor. We Californians can probably think of a few good uses for some lime-drenched fish, right?

BTW, yes, saba is the best way to eat it by far, but it's not really a "recipe" he he he. Nothing like going to the pier with a bottle of soy sauce, a bottle of Sriracha, and a tube of wasabi. Good times...
    Last edited by Skyler; 04-14-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    BTW, yes, saba is the best way to eat it by far, but it's not really a "recipe" he he he. Nothing like going to the pier with a bottle of soy sauce, a bottle of Sriracha, and a tube of wasabi. Good times...
    Hahaha well fish IS always best fresh... Would u suggest bleeding them just like they do bonita? And are they even safe to eat if caught off the local piers?

Default nice

Serious Lars?

Quote Originally Posted by ~larissa View Post
    well here's mine...

vinegar
    pepper corn
    minced garlic (lots of it)
    sugar
    salt
    bay leaves

marinade it for a few days then fry it up. the vinegar kinda kills that really fishy taste.

Clean them well and cut the heads off. Salt, pepper and garlic pwdr, then roll them on some cornstarch. Heat some oil in a frying pan, then brown some slices of ginger, fry fish until the skin turns crispy brown and enjoy. Ginger neutralizes the fishy smell and taste. If you don't believe me, ask a filipino grandma....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123