Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mackerel recipes?

Default mackerel recipes?

I usually never keep mackerel for anything more than bait... a few years ago i tried it out and found it wayyy too strong and fishy for my liking. Ive heard that its one of the safer fish to eat off our coasts and that it is used in sushi and other kinds of asian dishes.

So if thats the case, does anyone know of anyway to prepare it and cook it to make it actually worthy of eating?

Paging....RobertTroutHunter

RobertTroutHunter, will tell you all you need to know about cooking Mackrel and eating it.

I like Saba as long as it is fresh fresh fresh. Saba is Mackrel Sashimi (raw mackrel).

My wife cooks the smaller ones..it's strong, but not bad

I've heard that spanish macks are pretty good eating. Any macks I've kept I alway's gave them to my buddy so he could use it for shark chum.

Here's my Mack recipe....

You take a fresh big one, and fillet off one nice thick and long bloody side.

Pin it with a long shanked 7/0, and drop it down with 8 ounces of lead....the idea being you want to exchange it for a ling.

In all seriousness, I hope Funjunkie74 answers your question. He knows a bit about this subject.

Here is how to prepare Makerel . Put in sealed bag. walk outside. Put in trash can. Close lid. Hope to god your cat dont knock over the trash on trash day. If you aint keeping for bait , chuck it man ! Not worth the effort !!

[QUOTE=sansou;264021]Here's my Mack recipe....

You take a fresh big one, and fillet off one nice thick and long bloody side.

Pin it with a long shanked 7/0, and drop it down with 8 ounces of lead....the idea being you want to exchange it for a ling. QUOTE]

i agree. haha

well here's mine...

vinegar
    pepper corn
    minced garlic (lots of it)
    sugar
    salt
    bay leaves

marinade it for a few days then fry it up. the vinegar kinda kills that really fishy taste.

Spanish Mackeral is AMAZING! Its one of the many delicacies you will find on a sushi list.

For regular Pacific Mackeral:

1. Take fillets
    2. Mix together sake (japanese rice wine), soy sauce, and brown sugar. Heat up a little if neccessary to mix sugar.
    3. Marinate fillets in sauce.
    4. Take a normal pan and cook.

You should have a generic Teriyaki Mackeral fillet after.

one word: MISO
    If you've never had it, go to your local Marukai and try an already prepared fillet of Miso Mackerel (sabamiso). Broil it until slightly crisp. Enjoy with plenty of white rice, sesame seeds, and Furakaki (if available). OR. . . .

per Captain Gary Nordby:
    Recipe for Mackerel, Bonito, and Skipjack
    1. Fill a large pot with water, tsp. of salt and bring to a boil.
    2. Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and any other vegetables and spices of your choice. simmer for 30 minutes.
    3. Add gunny sack with whole Mackerel to boiling water. Simmer for an hour.
    4. Pull the gunny sack out of the pot and dump the fish into the trash. Enjoy the gunny sack.

I miss that crazy guy.
    Last edited by kozaki; 12-25-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast