Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marina Del Rey in the tub with Breeze71

Default Marina Del Rey in the tub with Breeze71

Went to Marina Del Rey Saturday evening.

Right after helping out with the kids Halloween event at Castaic lagoon, Hiro met up w/me, we hooked my tub up to his truck and off we went, we got on the water about
    8:30pm ish.

Started out pretty slow, the 1st 2 spots only produced a few short bites, I moved the boat to the inside finger of the outside jetty.

Working close perimeter to the jetty, I have to keep the motor running or we will slam against the rocks if not.

In the night air, a hint of fog lingered, Hiro and I both armed ourselves with the 4” gulp alive on a ¼ oz. gamagakstu jighead…

It’s really funny, on the ride over we discussed these lures and it’s potential for large fish, specifically we discussed the Calico Bass…I said “don’t be fooled ! those toad calicos will eat this gulp too….trust me Hiro !”

And then it happened !...................

Hookset !!!, right near the jettyline where there are some small pods of kelp….
    In about 8’ to 10’ of water

POLE BENDING DRAG SINGING HOOKSET !!!!! Woooo Hoo ! It’s On !

Hiro’s on !.........................Zzzzzzzzzz….Zzzzzzzz Zzzzzzz..
    I’m a little worried for him as this fish kept running out to the rockline !.....
    Stretching his 12lb test to the limit !!!

Hiro battled on like a true professional, had he not fought this fish correctly it would have ran in into the rocks or kelp for sure……

Hiro gets the fish on top now….I see that ‘ol diamond shape patterned back……

It’s a toad Calico….one of the biggest I’ve seen in years….Ohhh Yeah.baby !!!!

To the net it goes…in the boat ! SUCCESS !...high five to Hiro on da catch !
    One Saweet Toad !!!!!

We cracked up and had a helluva laugh about how I just said the toad Calicos will eat that Gulp bait…
    Damn…I wish I could call it like that everytime!!!!!!

We fished on and caught some other fish but nothing real real big, we didn’t bother with pics at this point…..
    A few smaller calicos and a couple sculpin, overall the bite was pretty slow and we were in the middle of the outgoing tide (no mystery why the bite was slow).

The fog started rolling in with a vengeance, it got REAL bad, I’ve never been out when it was that bad…we saw all the other craft head for shore about an hour b4 I finally made the decision to head in closer, nearer the launch ramp so we don’t get lost in the fog in my meager 12’ skiff !

It was tough to pilot/navigate….I had to get about 30’ from the rocks just to get an idea which way to go……

The crazy mofo’s that we are…WE AINT GOING HOME…..WERE GOING TO FISH ON !!!!!!

I finally make it in farther and we try 2 spots near the bait barge, we metered allot of fish holding up in about 10’ over 20’ near there….not my flatties but fish nonetheless…Hiro managed 1 short cuda on a LC and we moved on…..I kept saying ..”this is broken, we gotta fix it !”

In seach of new avenues we go, we come a ccross this cool little dock tht had 1 big light on it, where the light shined well into the water…..Hmnnnn….sounds tasty !

We fish it hard….14.8 of water seemed to be key…..
    Hiro gets thumped, as soon as he hooked it I knew “that’s a flattie”….
    He lands a nice Halibut about 19”…

I get a pressured bite…running off to the left……I drive on ‘em…when I feel it…”it’s a flattie….a keeper too!” I state as Hiro looks on…
    My 8lb test rig was getting maxed out…my 10 lb test rig is curently at the bottom with Davy Jones (explanation later)

To da net…finally, somethin’ in tha box…dinna !!!!
    Nice fat Flattie !

I got another flat strike but no hookup…we squireled around, working that zone, Hiro managed another short halibut and I got a small sandy and a sculpin and the tide was turning, they moved on…Damn !!! but at least that zone yielded 3 of our desired species !
    It was in a 12’ parameter where these flatties were hunting…all the same spot !

The gulp minnow is still yielding some great catches……ohhhhh Yeah !!!

Now: to Davy’s locker, the gearshift knob is broken of on the outboard on the tub so I need to change it with pliers….as Hiro and I worked the inside finger of the outer jetty, in the darkness, we neared the rocks quickly as the waves sucked us closer…Hiro said, dude, we’re gonna hit…..

I laid my pole down, hanging outa the boat, with the line out….I fired the boat up and went deeper…the jig got caught in the rocks while I moved and yanked the pole outa the boat….I tried for quite some time to snag it but the rocky terrain didn’t allow me to drag bottom too well…

Dayamn !!!!! a brand new crucial 7.2’ rod….I don’t really care about the reel but the rod I only had for about 12 days….but a least within that 12 days I caught a grip of toads and at least 8-9 different species….
    Oh well…that’s fishing….
    …great fishing !...good times
    Last edited by gletemfeelsteelgary; 10-27-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Nice fat checker ya got there Hiro....congrats to you!!!

Gary, thanks for the laughs.

Bummer about the new rod.

WTG!!!! Nice jumbo size cali and great fattie flattie! Love the game face Gary

Wow, great post! Nice job Gary. Sounds like you guys had a hell of a time. WTG on the flatties and monster bass. Thats a shame about the rod, but looks like you guys had a great time nonetheless.

Nice catch! Btw, thanks for the Disney Goofy phone.

Very nice Hiro and Gary. That "Checker" is HUGE! Since calico bass grow at an alarming slow rate, I wonder how old that fish was: 30-40 years? I've heard 9lb calico bass estimated at 40-45 years. Nevertheless, incredible fish! Congrats.

damn that calico is huge!Good job Hiro!Nice flattie Gary!damn good job you guys did...too bad for loosing that new crucial!Damnnnnn....

Thanks for the pics and report looks like you guys had a blast out there.Ya Sinjin the big calico bass like that are really old we got a couple this year pushing 8.1 and a 9 pounder they are slow to grow so we let em all go lol.I forgot how long it takes them to start breeding but i think its 3 to 5 years..Nice Calico and hali and i bet it tasted great they are good thanks for the pics and report guys.

Bigred
    Last edited by BIGRED KILLA; 10-27-2008 at 04:11 PM.

I cant believe you killed that calico.....

GD

Thanks for the fun night out Gary. We had a lot of laughs but it sucks we couldn't get the rod back!

The Calico was safely filleted and released on to the dinner table & it tasted just as good as those 12 inchers.

Hey GD, believe it or not it whispered your name just before it hit the ice chest.

Thanks for writing that little article Sinjin...maybe you can make a book out of it.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast