Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catalina Bone-fest!!!!!! Special guest onboard

Default Catalina Bone-fest!!!!!! Special guest onboard

Took my buddy Jeff & Tito Ortiz, Jeff's neighbor, out to Cat. on Thursday. The seas were phenomenal, but the fog made it a bit hairy at times. The ride out was great. We left HH at 6am. Picked up bait at L.B. and bought the worlds most expensive twelver off the sport boat that was baiting up.

Had clear skies w/an amazing sunrise till about half way to Long Point when the WET fog hit.

Then, the fog hit. We lowered speeds a bit but vis wasn't too bad most of the way.

We picked up son some breaking bait about 18 miles out. They were candy-size macks and we loaded up on em. These are PERFECT island bait.

Made it to the island by 7:30, and first cast on my 8lb setup produces a massive top-water explosion on boneys. Lost it. DAMN! That was my brand new popper!. Next cast, same thing. The bonies were WFO! Lost another popper.

First bone of the day for me.

Jeff w/a cali on a mack.

It was like this all day, we caught at least 40-60 bones in the 5lb. range. These things were funn as hell. They were biting EVERYTHING! But the artificials were killin em 4 to 1. Surface irons worked awesome, poppers, spoons, mega baits, hardbaits, live bait, flies would of worked (I'm mad cuz I forgot to bust out the fly gear GRRRRRRRRR) It was all good!

The fog was bizarre, but it burned mostly off by 2 when we returned home on perfect seas.

A pirate ship...

A double.

Lost a few to a bull sea lion. The were pains-in-the-arses no doubt, but pretty cool to watch them explode at the surface while blood & guts are flying....I must admit!

Tito with a bone lost to the dog.

Tito also brought stuff to maker ceviche with and busted out some amazing ceviche and corn chips. He also brought his secret recipe BBQ chicken. It was GOOOD.......
    Was a great time. Good food, good fishing, and good company....

GM<<><

nice job on the bones they got bigger!!...i use to fish with tito when i was a kid at newport pier me and my dad did i was young like 8 but yeah my dad use to pick him up in hb and we would go to the pier..i remember he had curly blonde hair back then too. good job guys.

ZBA

Nice Job Greg and crew looks like you guys had a blast and i hope you saved some bones for the bugs thanks for the pics and report.

Bigred Killa

Great PICTURES LOOKS LIKE A GOOD TIME

Greg I need some of that roach bait, lol. good times.

Great job on the bonies again Greg!

.Im surprised Tito didnt jump in after the seal and drop his viscious elbown on em for taking his fish....lol

Good Job out there fellas, looks like a great day out in the water.

haha. i agree with JSAUCE. i would love to see tito elbow a freakin seal. haha

nice job out there.

nice catch, i hate those seals!! but tito's cool

Hi Greg Madirigal,

WTG on the Bonito !! Great report and wild pics .... as usual !! Appreciated. Ya the Bonies were so bitey that I did eveything I could to NOT catch them and go for the Bass !!

Didn't whip out the flyswatter ?!? Oh Maaaannnn !! ;(

Thanks,

JapanRon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast