Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A nice Eastern Sierra fishing trip

Default A nice Eastern Sierra fishing trip

Well, This trip started out with Troutoholic & Iron Worker Wayne going to Bishop. I meet up with those two Monday afternoon and before you know it I was heading up too. I really needed a trout fishing trip after being layed up for the last two months. So after leaving the Elks lodge and heading home I thought I would give One_Leg a call to see if he wanted to go too. Sure enough, he was up for it. Got home packed and hit the sack. Got up at 2:00 Am and was at O_L's house by 2:30 Am, down the road to Wayne's house. Troutoholic rolled up and we got going at 4:00 Am. The drive was nice and it took us 4 1/2 hours to get up there. We stoped at Jack's in Bishop for breakfast. That was one of the BEST breakfast's I have had in a long time. If you get up that way stop in.

After Breakfast Troutoholic lead the way down to the Owens river. We finally got our lines wet. We did not stay for more than an hour or so because it was HOT. Wayne got hooked up into a nice Native trout and the skunk was off for him. As I said it was HOT so we packed it up at 11:00 am for the higher elevation of South Lake.

Stoped to see Sierra Smitty but he was off at Sabrina. Got to the lake and set up next to the launch ramp. We used inflated N/C's and threw lures. We all got trout. I got the Skunk . I did hook up into a trout but I riped its lip off and it swam away. Water was clear and you could see schools of trout swim by. We were mostly sight fishing trying to get the trout to bite. Troutoholic was on fire and Wayne & Alan did good too. All Rainbows this day. At the days end Troutoholic and Wayne had there limit of trout. Alan was one shy of his limit and I had the Skunk.

Went into town and got rooms, crashed and awoke early to go get breakfast at Jack's again. Picked up more N/C's and some lures . Troutoholic & Wayne went to South lake and Alan and I went up to Sabrina to check it out for a bit. As we were leaving we stoped by the creek and saw trout there and decided to give it a shot. I soon Punked the Skunk on a nice Rainbow that fell for a inflated N/C. Sweet !!!! Alan hooked one and was fighting with it and then it got off the hook some how. As we were getting ready to leave Troutoholic rolls up and was looking to get a Second rod stamp. We told him we would be heading to South Lake next. On the way we stoped at intake II ? Not sure. This was my first time fishing in this part of the Sierra's. Alan can say for sure later. We threw lures and I had a Panther Martain on and I got hooked up on my first cast. But that trout got off and lived another day. Saw some big trout jumping all over the lake there. It was time to pack it up againg and head down to South lake to join Troutoholic and Wayne.

Alan got the 1/2 day boat and went trolling. I set up on the other side of the boat dock.
    When Alan and I got there Troutoholic and Wayne was doing great . They were catching Brooks, Browns, and Rainbows. I hooked into a Brook trout also. I farmed one too. By 2:15 PM everyone had there days limit but me. I got 4. 3 Rainbow and 1 Brook. Alan had his limit on some larger trout that he got on the troll. I will let him tell that part of the fishing trip later .

We all were thursty and hungry so we stoped at Logde on the way down the Moutain. I forget the name of it. As I said before this was my first time up in that area. Had Cheese burgers and beers.

Got home in 5 hours and 15 min. I am tired but I just had to start the report. Alan has Pics. and Video he will be posting tomorrow. We all had a great time and wished we could of stayed longer.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Troutman65; 10-01-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Good to hear you were able to sample some fall fishing up North....pretty place this time of year. Thanks for the report TM, where are all the pics....didn't you get a digi cam last year? Thanks for the report.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    Good to hear you were able to sample some fall fishing up North....pretty place this time of year. Thanks for the report TM, where are all the pics....didn't you get a digi cam last year? Thanks for the report.

TD

Yeah, I still got the camera. Took a few pics. at the lodge with it. I was too busy fishing to take any pics. I should of . With the fall colors going on it sure was beauitful up there.

Check back tomorrow . Alan will have posted the pics. by then.

that was cardinal lodge and that place has the best burgers in the sierras!!! should have went to north lake u guys would have had a blast up there!!!!! we r heading up there next friday patrick and alan if u guys wanna get ur revenge!!! but hittin the june lake area!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman65 View Post
    Yeah, I still got the camera. Took a few pics. at the lodge with it. I was too busy fishing to take any pics. I should of . With the fall colors going on it sure was beauitful up there.

Check back tomorrow . Alan will have posted the pics. by then.

TM65,

Everyone was wondering where Alan was. Now we know. Nice report. How was the weather in the mornings? Gettin cold?? Also, your report was so detailed that I don't have to read One_Legs report, that is if he posts one.

Congrats on finally getting out of the house and fishing!!

Nice report, Can't wait to see the pics and video. It must have been hot on the river cause it was blazin' down here this week.

Quote Originally Posted by deanhall32 View Post
    TM65,

Everyone was wondering where Alan was. Now we know. Nice report. How was the weather in the mornings? Gettin cold?? Also, your report was so detailed that I don't have to read One_Legs report, that is if he posts one.

Congrats on finally getting out of the house and fishing!!

Deanhall32, Thanks for the reply. There was a nice chill in the air at the upper elevations.. During the day in bishop it was 96*. Bishop was hot !!! Upper elevations was in the Mid 40's during the day. Tee shirt and shorts weather for me.

Alan trolled and has his take on his catch and I think it would be worth reading.

Hope to get on a Saltwater trip with you sometime.
    Last edited by Troutman65; 10-02-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THE MEXI-CAN!!!! View Post
    that was cardinal lodge and that place has the best burgers in the sierras!!! should have went to north lake u guys would have had a blast up there!!!!! we r heading up there next friday patrick and alan if u guys wanna get ur revenge!!! but hittin the june lake area!!!!

I think it was Bishop Creek lodge. Not sure just yet. Someone chime in and help me out. Thanks.

I would love to go back up there with you but I don't have the time off from work on the weekends. Thanks for the invite and I'll take a rain check.

Thanks for the reply too !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ikeman View Post
    Nice report, Can't wait to see the pics and video. It must have been hot on the river cause it was blazin' down here this week.

Thanks for the reply Ikeman. It was hot in the (valley), Bishop. Super nice at the Moutain lakes.

NICE report parick....thanks man....hey, since youre back to work now, you think you can buy a camera??? Pics would be nice.....

GD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast