Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry firearms?

Default Carry firearms?

I was just curious as to how many other fisherman out there besides me that carry a firearm (and what type) with them while fishing, primarily when you are back country fishing. Not only does the threat (no matter how slim) of bear attack slightly concern me when deep in a wilderness but after reading some articles about how there has been an increase of "run-ins" by hikers/fisherman/hunters etc with "marijuana crop guards" I now, although not greatly, feel that I would almost rather wrestle with a 400 lb sow protecting her cubs than a couple of heavily armed pot guards. Once again I know it will probably never happen but you never know, especially since I'm one to sometimes explore off of the beaten path.

BTW I carry a Beretta 96, .40 S&W as well as leaving my Remington 870 12 gauge at camp for the wife to use if need be.
    Last edited by fishing_addict; 09-15-2008 at 09:24 PM.

I carry a Sawed of shotgun behind my back under my coat so i can shoot all those crazy red necks that try to attack me for my Zebco and my two gold front teeth.

Bigred Killa lol

I usually carry my CZ 9mm pistol when I go into the backcountry or places that I know have mtn lions or bears. 9mm is pretty small for that though. I got it as a rash 21 year old who needed a piece in a hurry. I wish I would have held out and got the .45, much more suited for what I need it for now.

Really, the threat of a bear, mtn lion, or other is so minimal that a firearm is not needed. But I still carry it, even though I get funny looks every time I run into someone. I also carry bear spray. The heat is the last option.

I have seen only one other guy in all my backcountry adventures (literally hundreds of trail miles and many, many people) with a pistol, so I think you and I are the vast minority.

I carry a firearm all the time And it "ai'nt" cause of rednecks.
    Fishing addict:
    Brings up a good point! Which really applies to hunters, and hunting season usually starts & ends around harvest season for pot growers & hunters tend to cover alot of ground & do stumble across pot growing crews
    mostly illegals & will shoot You!

it's very common, now days! People stumble across them frequently.
    I know a guy that his brother went missing while hunting, found Him dead shot in the back of his head, in the reminants of a growing operation.

Look at all the mountain lion sightings & attacks?
    Since the tree huggin bush fairys got cougar hunting banned, they've exploded & will eat You.
    If You go back deep in the woods fishing and You have one? Then why not?
    If You can & feel like it!
    Theres lots of good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by buck liggett View Post
    Fishing addict:
    Brings up a good point! Which really applies to hunters, and hunting season usually starts & ends around harvest season for pot growers & hunters tend to cover alot of ground & do stumble across pot growing crews
    mostly illegals & will shoot You!

it's very common, now days! People stumble across them frequently.
    I know a guy that his brother went missing while hunting, found Him dead shot in the back of his head, in the reminants of a growing operation.

Look at all the mountain lion sightings & attacks?
    Since the tree huggin bush fairys got cougar hunting banned, they've exploded & will eat You.
    Seems to be a lot of paranoia, hyperbole and disparagement going on in your statement and not a lot of logic.

Haven't really seen any crass political statements on this board before. Maybe I just lurk in the wrong forums....

And BTW, I'm all for carrying a firearm.....I just think you're out to lunch.

I dont own one but i have thought about it many times, especialy for all the fishin i do in the canyons. Lots of gangsters and mountain lion. Always gotta think of your safety

hk usp .45 on the side and folded su16 rifle in the backpack where legal.

Berreta 9mm holds 15

I carry my trusty Red Rider BB Gun

I would not go into the back country with out &

Quote by BIGRED KILLA I carry a Sawed of shotgun behind my back under my coat so i can shoot all those crazy red necks that try to attack me for my Zebco and my two gold front teeth.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast