Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Outcast Fish Cat IR-9-SWEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!!

Default Outcast Fish Cat IR-9-SWEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!!

I returned the Classic Accessories Colorado XT back to Cabelas a back in June. I had it for a couple months & used it a handful of times. The seams on some places were coming undone, so back it went.

I turned around & bought the IR-9. NOW this is great pontoon boat! It's a steel frame pontoon boat, but since I won't be getting it in the ocean; it works perfect for me.

The main difference of the Colorado XT & the IR-9 are quite significant. The IR-9 has a 5 yr warranty vs 2 yrs w/ the Colorado XT. Also the IR-9 is slightly narrower than the Colorado XT. Not by much but enough that I can row faster on the IR-9. The motor mount on the IR-9 is in the middle back vs. switching to the left or right side on the back. I thought that having the motor mount on the side would be easier to use the trolling motor. I was so wrong! I had the motor mount on the right side & it was uncomfortable to steer. The reason is I had to have the motor blade lower in the water so it won't cut into the inflated pontoon. So that put my arm in a lower position & made steering uncomfortable. Now w/ the IR-9's motor mount in the middle, I can raise the motor mount high enough that I can reach over & steer a bit more comfortable. Also w/ the prop higher, it doesn't dig into the bottom.

You can see from the pic I have mounted 5 rod holders on a crate. The IR-9 has a metal rear deck that I can zip tie down the crate for the rod holders & it also holds a group 24 battery & a smaller crate on the other side. I keep most of my lures in the crates & I can get to my rods easily. The side pockets on the IR-9 is quite big to put alot of stuff in.

The IR-9 is slightly lighter than the Colorado XT, but not by much. I can still carry the IR-9 to the side of the water as long as it's less than 25 yds.

I don't see posts for Outcast pontoon boats, don't know why. These are quality crafts.
    The IR-9 is very stable & I can as I said row much faster. The design of the Outcast Pontoon boats is one of the best.

Yup, those are Hot Spot fins, the BEST!!!!
    Last edited by Ghost; 09-08-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Sweet set-up, I've got my eye on the IR-9 as well! I have a feeling it will be my next big purchase. Enjoy!!!

By the way.... did you post a review on the Cabelas website???????? There's a review I read while researching pontoons on their site yesterday that sounds almost identical to your post here. Anyway, really nice boat, I'm jealous!
    Last edited by fishing_addict; 09-09-2008 at 12:25 AM.

I posted a review on Cabelas review for the IR-9. Also left a review for the Colorado XT.

But when I went to look at the IR-9 on Cabelas site, that pontoon boat is not available. Or more like it's not on their website.

Nice toon Ghost. I like the Outcast boats quite a bit. Tacklejunkie has the Fishcat Cougar and that thing is cool. You've made a big jump in quality with this boat and now you can run class 2 whitewater with it as well. If you put a seat riser and swivel on your frame you'll find it very comfortable to operate the trolling motor. A 7 inch riser is perfect. Any higher and it's hard to row. You should consider a standing deck as well. It will enhance the fishability of boat a ton. You can switch it back and forth from a kickboat to a stand and fish boat. A very nice option. Congrats on the new boat, I hope you catch a ton on it.