Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Disappointment on Condor - Fisherman's Landing

That's how it is when you chase pelagics. It could be feast or famine. With today’s sophisticated sonar, skippers have a pretty good idea of whether the fish are around or not, and, whether they are willing to come up and bite. Also, they are trying just as hard as the customers to put fish on the boat. That's their livelihood. Just keep at it and don't give up. You'll have your day.

I guess now you know why people are so stoked on a good trip. At least you got a stop.

Guess, I'll add to it! A great trip and getting a wide open bite is never guarenteed! Sounds to me like the captain put in some work. Pretty much what you would want a boat to do.

Really, you experienced what we call "run and gun" fishing. Find some fish...see if they come up and bite. If not, move on and hope that you find some fish that are willing.

Unfortunitely, your 1st overnighter didn't live up to your expectations. Again, nothing's guranteed. You can only do your research and hope that everything works out. But your never gonna experience that great trip unless you are out on the water.

Honestly, don't blame the boat. From what you are saying, it sounds like to me they really gave it a good effort. Plus, it could of been an evening bite and doing just an overnighter wouldn't of given you enough time. Don't let this trip discourage you. A trip like that for me just makes me want to get out there asap. But then again, after a good trip, i wanna get out again.

Give it another shot....you next trip may just be the one.
    Last edited by flopps1; 09-05-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Sorry to hear that you missed the fish on that trip. Please understand that the captain knew exactly what was under and around the boat at all times. Often, a few odd troll fish will stop the boat. No need to stay and fish empty water if nothing shows on the electronics. The fact that the boat moved so much and did not spend much time on the stops it did have actually says alot for the captain. It says that he did not want to waste time on little or nothing. He wanted to find a good concentration of fish to sink the boat with. The bite has been scratchy lately. It will get better again before it's over.

Modern electronics are amazing. It's almost cheating. Side scanners can see schools of fish from 100's of yards away and so the chances of getting hooked up are better than ever now.

Watch the counts closely...and when you see higher counts on most boats, GO! These better bites usually last around 3 days straight. Also consider that 1/2, 3/4 have gotten deep into the action this season. This is one of the best tuna seasons in recent memory, so try again...

Default Thanks to all

Guys,
    Can't thank you all enough for all the respectful and helpful replies to this naive newbie! Guess I'll have to give it another shot and bring the hip flask this time!

Quote Originally Posted by deanhall32 View Post
    Yep- That is the way it goes sometimes. My buddy was on the boat the day before you went and there were only 18 guys who caught over 100 yellowfin and albacore. He said they found one huge kelp paddy that kept them busy all day. Go figure!! You will hit it good next time for sure!!!
    I guess that was what was really disappointing - I had gotten there early and stood on the dock watching sack after sack of monster YFT being carried off my boat. Next time I'll just expect nothing and maybe be pleasantly surprised!

What you are saying is that you would much rather knowingly soak a bait with virtually no chance of getting bit, simply because it feels like you're doing something. I run my own boat, trust me when I say that regardless of whether a bait is in the water, I'm always doing something. It's called hunting. I've had days where I've run 40 miles one way zig zagging in and out looking for threshers, then found the right area. Set the boat to slow troll and was bit before I could get the second bait out. Less than 5 minutes with a bait in the water, one fish and that's success in thresher fishing. The rest of the time, it was hunting. Unfortunately, on a party boat you are reduced to only part of the experience: dropping a bait over.
    Last edited by Steve M; 09-06-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Guys,
    Can't thank you all enough for all the respectful and helpful replies to this naive newbie! Guess I'll have to give it another shot and bring the hip flask this time!

I guess that was what was really disappointing - I had gotten there early and stood on the dock watching sack after sack of monster YFT being carried off my boat. Next time I'll just expect nothing and maybe be pleasantly surprised!

Great advice! (The hip flask, I meanLOL!) Seriously tho, just expect to be out on the water "putting in time" If ur lucky, youll hit em, if not, you r 1 step closer to hitten em!

GM<<><

Ha Ha, at least you didn't have to listen to some blabber mouth talk throughout the whole trip!

Or did you?

I wish you better luck next time.

O_L

Quote Originally Posted by one_leg View Post
    Ha Ha, at least you didn't have to listen to some blabber mouth talk throughout the whole trip!

Or did you?

I wish you better luck next time.

O_L

Isn't that the norm? There's always a blabber mouth on those cattleboat trips.

Bonzo,
    Dude, like many others have said, it's time on the water that will eventually get you into fish.
    The advise I give to newbie friends who want to get into tuna fishing is to first try an overnite trip for the experience of learning how to do it. Also plan the trip date during a very good fish count time where the average tuna take per person is 2 or more. This gives more assurance of catching something.
    Then, if the person likes tuna fishing and wants more, go for a 1.5 or 2 day trip which will allow more time to have a line in the water and to fish from sun up to sundown. Last years big tuna bite was late in the afternoon so those trips did very well.
    Best to Bookmark all the San Diego landings sites and see how the counts are before you book another trip. Most 2 day trips now are doing pretty good.
    Another way I end up with tuna to take home is while waiting on the troll, I have my jig stick with a swimbait to toss right when the HOOKUP is yelled. The sooner you have a bait in the water after the troll hookup is crucial as the fish will either come up to eat or not. Many times there are more than just one troll lure hookup so there are maybe a few other fish wanting to eat, that's where having a bait in the water ASAP is crucial. Of course the captain says not to throw your line out with bait until the boat is almost stopped, but to push the limit some doesn't hurt and it's the total number of fish caught for the trip is what everyone is looking for, especially the capt.
    I've been tuna fishing for over 30 years now and have learned a few secrets of how to get tuna on board ;)
    Best of luck in your future tuna trips and some day you'll maybe run into a school of fish that will not quit biting and end up wanting to eat anything thrown overboard, even a bare shiny hook :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast