Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Real Disappointment on Condor - Fisherman's Landing

Quote Originally Posted by Trout-Tuna-For.Me View Post
    Bonzo,
    Dude, like many others have said, it's time on the water that will eventually get you into fish.
    The advise I give to newbie friends who want to get into tuna fishing is to first try an overnite trip for the experience of learning how to do it. Also plan the trip date during a very good fish count time where the average tuna take per person is 2 or more. This gives more assurance of catching something.
    Then, if the person likes tuna fishing and wants more, go for a 1.5 or 2 day trip which will allow more time to have a line in the water and to fish from sun up to sundown. Last years big tuna bite was late in the afternoon so those trips did very well.
    Best to Bookmark all the San Diego landings sites and see how the counts are before you book another trip. Most 2 day trips now are doing pretty good.
    Another way I end up with tuna to take home is while waiting on the troll, I have my jig stick with a swimbait to toss right when the HOOKUP is yelled. The sooner you have a bait in the water after the troll hookup is crucial as the fish will either come up to eat or not. Many times there are more than just one troll lure hookup so there are maybe a few other fish wanting to eat, that's where having a bait in the water ASAP is crucial. Of course the captain says not to throw your line out with bait until the boat is almost stopped, but to push the limit some doesn't hurt and it's the total number of fish caught for the trip is what everyone is looking for, especially the capt.
    I've been tuna fishing for over 30 years now and have learned a few secrets of how to get tuna on board ;)
    Best of luck in your future tuna trips and some day you'll maybe run into a school of fish that will not quit biting and end up wanting to eat anything thrown overboard, even a bare shiny hook :D
    Hey Trout-Tuna-For.Me,

Thanks for the advice!
    What kind of jig do you recommend for a beginner?

Duuuude! Today's report shows the boat limiting out, with 26 guys hitting 109 YFT, 19 bluefin, etc. Congrats to Cap'n Scott and the crew. Looks like I was right between the big strikes. Gotta find a way to get back to SD soon!

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Hey Trout-Tuna-For.Me,

Thanks for the advice!

Duuuude! Today's report shows the boat limiting out, with 26 guys hitting 109 YFT, 19 bluefin, etc. Congrats to Cap'n Scott and the crew. Looks like I was right between the big strikes. Gotta find a way to get back to SD soon!
    I hope your not married cause you are officially an addict........ Get ready to spend thousands of dollars......

Channel Island Chovie Big Hammers are always a good choice for a jig on the slide....
    Last edited by Liteliner; 09-08-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Most of the time I use the plastic swimbaits, usually in the blue/white, green/white, purple/dark grey, or blue/green. I pick the colors by using the light conditions and bait imitation, just like the color of the trolling lures.
    Albacore like the darker colors early in the morning or overcast conditions (black/purple and brown/white), and the other colors in the sunlight. Many will agree with me in the choice of colors, but in the 30+ years of tuna fishing I've just about always caught my share of albacore, yellowfin, bluefin, and bigeye. Yellowfin, bluefin, and bigeye seem to go for the lighter and brighter colored lures/jigs.
    Hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Liteliner View Post
    I hope your not married cause you are officially an addict........ Get ready to spend thousands of dollars......
    I may be addicted, but I may have $1500. worth of gear. I always take 4 or 5 rods/reels, a smallish tackle box, and a day pack on every tuna trip. From a troll rod/reel to a light bait stick and 2 or 3 inbetween. Most importantly, I always have my 8' jig stick to throw swimbaits, jigs, or even bait. Bait fishing over the top of others means less tangles. All my reels are Newell, and the rods are either Sabre or Fenwick. Not the most expensive but work just as well.

Hey Trout-Tuna-For.Me,

Thanks for the advice!

That's fishing right now. One day it sucks and the other it's WFO. The fact that your checking counts is a good start. It'll happen for you!!!! Just getting out there is the real question.

Just make sure you post that good trip when it happens. Trout-tuna is right on about having the plastic ready to fish the slide. I prefer plastics myself but guys will also throw out a Krocodile lure as well. You just might want to check with the boat if they're okay with "fishing the slide". Most are cool about it but some would prefer you don't. Fluro leaders in 20# to 25# have been working this season. Also, try and get your bait in the water asap if you guys get a troll strike. FIrst baits in the water will usually get hit and gives you the edge from tangles.
    Last edited by flopps1; 09-08-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Guys,
    Can't thank you all enough for all the respectful and helpful replies to this naive newbie! Guess I'll have to give it another shot and bring the hip flask this time!

I guess that was what was really disappointing - I had gotten there early and stood on the dock watching sack after sack of monster YFT being carried off my boat. Next time I'll just expect nothing and maybe be pleasantly surprised!

I'm going back on there tonight if you can join us.

Re fishing the slide: I know for a fact the crew & capt of the Condor readily encourage fishing the slide!! On the troll they fish two shorts on the outside, and two long on the inside, which means that upon troll-hookup you want to immediately pitch your plastic on either the extreme port or starboard, but not down the middle.

It's a pretty good boat. Be sure to reserve a stateroom (there are only 2) if you can (topside quick access).

Good luck out there!

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    Re fishing the slide: I know for a fact the crew & capt of the Condor readily encourage fishing the slide!! On the troll they fish two shorts on the outside, and two long on the inside, which means that upon troll-hookup you want to immediately pitch your plastic on either the extreme port or starboard, but not down the middle.

It's a pretty good boat. Be sure to reserve a stateroom (there are only 2) if you can (topside quick access).

Good luck out there!

Sansou, you just made my trip a whole lot better by mentioning the stateroom. I thank you very much. Put it this way, I'm the guy who books his own hotel room because of the overcrowded rooms with friends. I love sleep especially when it's dark and away from people. There was one left and it has my name on it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123