Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to make Pho?

Quote Originally Posted by ~larissa View Post
    we're back on the subject of Pho again? omg... i need to find me a good Pho place. Cappo and myself went to this new one by our house, talk about crap. Now Cappo doesn like it
    There's plenty of good Pho places in the San Gabriel Area.

Quote Originally Posted by ~larissa View Post
    we're back on the subject of Pho again? omg... i need to find me a good Pho place. Cappo and myself went to this new one by our house, talk about crap. Now Cappo doesn like it
    If you guys live near westminster than hit up pho 79 off of hazard and brookhurst. One of the best in the buis......

Ok...

I tired it with this

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2008/0...odle-soup-pho/

And something is not right!!!

The broth does not taste the same as the one in the resturant!!!

Please if some one can help me I would be much appreciated.

Pho. Pronounced "fuh".
    Last edited by Lightline; 09-04-2008 at 07:30 PM.

YAH PHO 54 FO FREE!!!
    BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD IS PHO 54 ON BROOKHURST.
    No need to make it although my mom does make it, but no place comes to PHO 54. Order the Xe Lua which means train in Vietnamiese and never look back. At like $6 a bowl it's a no brainer for a quick lunch.

how long am i supposed to boil the broth

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/441951
    Last edited by Lightline; 09-04-2008 at 08:56 PM.

I thought Pho #1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and #54 tasted all the same....

They have awesome food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
    There's plenty of good Pho places in the San Gabriel Area.
    allas Ricky-Ray... we live in the Culver City Area... too far

Quote Originally Posted by halibutseeker View Post

And something is not right!!!

The broth does not taste the same as the one in the resturant!!!

Please if some one can help me I would be much appreciated.

maybe you're missing the MSG....

imho, the broth at the restaurants are so-so. Not very impressive. The same stock gets boiled and reboild in a huge pot and left to simmer and diluted as the day goes on...

instead of using knuckle bones, try the backbone (lots of marrow there, and ribs area (lots of meat). Its pricier, but the broth will come out more flavorful/sweeter as opposed to knuckle bones. Make sure you do the cleaning process (boiling it first in a separate pot for a few minutes and rinse with water, then introduce it to the broth pot)

Don't be afraid to play around with the sugar/fish sauce ratio for taste...some moms i know add half of an apple to their broth (removed and discarded when done) believed to help curb the meaty scent. Bring it to a boild and let it simmer for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The critical part is, you gotta collect and discard the foam that forms on the top. This can mean the difference between a mediocre stock and an excellent one.

the better pho places sweeten up their stock with chicken before they introduce the beef. Perhaps you could add some chicken broth to the broth pot instead of going with 100% water.

good luck, and lets see some pictures of your next attempt!!
    Last edited by fish_sauce; 09-05-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Eating the spinal material of a bovine sounds like one possible way to get Bovine Spongiform encephalopathy?

tHIS IS FROM WIKIPEDIA:

The scientific consensus is that infectious BSE prion material is not destroyed through normal cooking procedures, meaning that contaminated beef foodstuffs prepared "well done" may remain infectious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_...y#cite_note-14

Quote Originally Posted by one_leg View Post
    Eating the spinal material of a bovine sounds like one possible way to get Bovine Spongiform encephalopathy?
    LOL. good one, One_Leg. Almost fell off my chair laughing.

a few things i want to point out though...

first of all, in order to be more convincing, you shouldn't have used Wikipedia......although it has its uses, Wikipedia hardly serves as a credible source for scientific citations since most of the time, the author and source of data is unknown. I can probably name dozen cases where i've seen college research papers with a big fat F on it just for the mere fact that the student was lazy and cited Wikipedia on their term paper. And i'm not even in college. :D

Secondly, notice "well done" is in quotations, which is suggestive of our misunderstanding of what exactly "well done" really is. There's no misunderstanding, however, about exactly how "well done" a piece of meat that is left to simmer in a pot for three + hours. That's plenty of time for the protein structures to denature. Whether or not the genetic material for the virus strands could somehow re-assemble themselves and pose as a threat is still unclear. Additionally, boiling something for that long is certainly not "normal cooking procedure".

thirdly, if the cow is infected with Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, coming in contact with the meat itself is enough for you to contract the disease.

For many of the vCJD patients, direct evidence exists that they had consumed tainted beef, and this is assumed to be the mechanism by which all affected individuals contracted it. Disease incidence also appears to correlate with slaughtering practices that led to the mixture of nervous system tissue with hamburger and other beef. It is estimated that 400,000 cattle infected with BSE entered the human food chain in the 1980s. Although the BSE epizootic was eventually brought under control by culling all suspect cattle populations, people are still being diagnosed with vCJD each year (though the number of new cases currently has dropped to fewer than 5 per year). This is attributed to the long incubation period for prion diseases, which are typically measured in years or decades. As a result the extent of the human vCJD outbreak is still not fully known.
    in other words, you will probably have the same chances of getting infected with the disease eating pho, as you would a normal hamburger.
    Last edited by fish_sauce; 09-05-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast