Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fishing at Horse Shoe Lake

Default Fishing at Horse Shoe Lake

I've driven through the parking lot of Horse Shoe Lake several times while in Mammoth, but I've never seen anyone fishing in it and I wondered of the CO2 issue had killed off any fish. Does anyone know the scoop with the lake?

I've fished there a few years back and pulled some cutts (trolling the bottom in my float tube) and small brooks (with a Thomas Bouyant).

I've never fished it, just drove by. There might still be some fish in there, but I would think you would be better off at one of the other lakes.

Default Horse shoe lake warnings

Good site about horse shoe lake

http://lvo.wr.usgs.gov/CO2.html

I caught my PB brown out of there (3-4 lbs). This was about 20 years ago though. Back then it was not hard to catch a limit of rainbows with a few browns mixed in. Today, I couldn't tell you. I have not been up there since I usually get stuck at the Owen's can't pry myself away from there.

Horseshoe was killed off because of the CO2 deal a while back. Since that time a few cutties have come down from McCloud but to my knowledge the DFG is not actively stocking the lake or supplementing the fishery. That could change but I would be surprised because the CO2 issue could resurface any time killing off the lake. I'd stick to the other basin lakes if you're looking for Alpers or limits style fishing on rainbows. The water level was disgustingly low last year too...not sure how it looks this season.

peace,
    smitty

I was up there this past weekend and it was low and dirty. The water was full of silt and had an odor to it. I walked to the lake, looked at the lake, touched the water, smelled my hand and then walked back.