Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam Report (with lots of pics!)

Default Vietnam Report (with lots of pics!)

I finally have a chance to sort through the 800+ photos I took while in Vietnam.

It was quite a trip. Visiting my Mom (she lives in Sweden so I don't get to see her much), family I have never met before, seeing where I was born, and talking to my Mom about what it was like when I was born has certainly given me lots to ponder for a while. During my two weeks there I met nice people, rude people, honest people, and swindlers. Seems much like anywhere else.

I can remember when I first visited Europe, I was struck by how different things were when compared to the US. Later visits showed me how similar we are. I think I can say now that I view differences and similarities at the same time. More importantly, I know know that when you want to make connections with others, focus on the similarities. I think that's why it was so good to bring a fishing pole. Many people in Vietnam fish, for recreation, work, or subsistence. It certainly opened some doors, and peaked the interest of those that shared a fishing interest. They were among the more decent people I met.

Well on to the pics...

One of the first places I fished was this cat fish farm. They were set up as a restruant where the patrons could sit outside, fish, drink beer, and have their catch cooked up if they wanted. The driver we hired for the day liked to fish too and he bagged the first fish...

Not to be outdone, I bag one too...

Hmmm.....catfish in a clay pot and Tiger beer

After the catfish pond, we went to a friends house near the Siagon river. My cousins fishing the river with me.

South of Saigon is the city of Can Tho, wher I was born. They have a growing tourisim industry there for people looking of the Mekong experience.
    Me boating on the Mekong Delta...

Floating market....

Typical riverside home...

You could see these fish traps everywhere

Snail eggs. These snails get pretty big and are edible. Yummm!

Small beam trawler on the river...

You can find almost any kind of water organisim for eats in the resturants...

Down in Ca Mau, where most of my Viet family live. Grandmas house is in the upper right, across the river. We went across in the long-tailed boat pictured in the foreground.

The catch that came out of a shrimp trap..

Another cousin helping me fish...

Almost everywhere you look people have a fish pond. This one is behind my Aunts house. Where I was able to bag another catfish.

My cousin and I fished the canal in front of the house too. I caught nothing but he caught two tiny fish.

Hmmm....home cookin'. Just look out for that rice wine.

Met this guy near Can Tho, on the way back to Saigon.

Was he fishing for these?

Back in Saigon, my Mom decided we all needed haircuts, and massage (no Boom boom though). Of course my four-year-old nephew got all the attention. Funny kid, he understands English, Vietnamese, and some Chinese, but only wants to speak Swedish.

After recouping in Saigon, we boarded a sleeper bus to Mui Ne, a relatively new beach resort area. Mui Ne is (was?) a small fishing village, that was discovered by tourists about ten years ago. A solor eclipse drew thousands of people to the area when it was reported that it was the only place in Vietnam that one could view the full eclipse.

Steaming and drying fish?

Exploring the fairy springs in Mui Ne

Beach view from our resort.

Near Mui Ne is Ta Cu Mountain. At the top is the largest reclining buddha found in Vietnam (49 m). You can walk or take the cable car (we chose cable car). This place was quite sureal. It really made me quiet inside.

Example of the Champa culture that was there before the Vietnamese moved in.

Lots of people like to fish. This guy didn't speak much English but we hit it off and I let him try my rod. He likes to fish too.

These kids showed my how to dig clams in the sand and gave me a small hook to use. Note the bamboo pole. I let them fish with my rod for awhile too.

Some of the fish they caught...

Finally I get one too...

Young and old like to fish...Note the kite board sail in the background.

It was with mixed feelings that I left Vietnam. Certainly happy to get back home (I love California, and missed my GF lots) but turning over lots in my mind about this half of my heritage. I may have to go back someday. Maybe do some work or research. Maybe just grab abackpack and do the whole SE asia thing. It was certainly the trip of a lifetime.

Sweet pics man. Lots of different little crazy fishes!
    Looks like a fun trip!

Amazing photos and a great narrative as well. I would really like to go there some day. Thanks for the great post.

Thankyou for sharing the awesome photos and experience...

that picture of the reclined buddha sure brings back some long, distant childhood memory. i've been there before, but i can vaguely remember it...

sure does inspire me to plan a trip of my own to visit VN. It's been almost twenty years!!

Thanks for sharing your trip on FNN. Great pics. They tell a story on their own. Welcome back

Default Great!

Man, I've been waiting for this report.
    Excellent report and very well done!
    Those pics brings back some great memories from my youth. Even though I was pretty much a city boy growing up in Saigon (which is now called Ho Chi Minh City), I always love visiting relatives in the countryside.

One day, I'm going to make some time and visit the homeland... left there in 1975 and haven't been back.

That is great that you found the time to get some fishing in. I like the high-tech drag system that they have on those bamboo poles.
    I wonder if there are any Halibut in those waters...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks for the read and pictures!

Are you F'ing kidding me??? i was born in Can Tho too!!!!! i've never been back but these pics look awesome...
    i look forward to being able to go back some one day even more now.. thanks CR..

mmm. my only question is.. err. you don't look too asian... background story??? just wondering..

Fishing looks dangerous there...those dudes are wearing helmets in the last pic.

what a great post and pictures
    thanks for sharing with us...especially those of us that have not experienced places like Vietnam
    that is some beautiful countryside

thanks again....and i wish you well on your journey either here or there!
    G$

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast