Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Team 57 goes to Colorado!

Those fish are beautiful... except for the weird, pointy tails... is that some kind of disease?

Nice looking fish.

What type of fish is that silver one in the middle? Is that a baby Kokanee?

Nice Trip there sansou!

Exclamation

Wow dude.... thanks for some very cool fish pics!
    Congrats on the Kokee!

That's also a very nice fish your pops has there in that one photo!
    Tell him I expect to see him at "Legends III"

Now as for that "critter" (Red Fox), you better get yourself a fox hound and a good horse if you expect to keep up with him! TALLY HO!

Keep the reports coming my man!... we dig em!

See ya in a few weeks!

Dana

Today was supposed to be a fun day targeting native Rio Grande cutties and wild brooks up in the lakes around Wolf Creek Pass. I especially put my nicely permanently stained T57 shirt on, just in case I had a "Wingnut" moment!! Unfortunately, we got off to a late start, and by the time we got up there, we ran into the common afternoon storm (rain, wind, and hail!).

Rather than chance the weather by hiking into one of my favorite little lakes (Hunter's lake), we opted to do a little fishing at a truck accessible lake called "Shaw" and do some mushroom hunting. As far as fishing is concerned, I only got one strike the 2 hours fishing it in the rain. My daughter toughed it out with me for a while, but once the hail & lightning started up, she ran back to the truck! Ha ha!!

On the upside, just before the nasty weather, my mom and I scouted around Shaw Lake and found baby Chanterelles mushrooms (this particular area is our "go to" place for mushroom hunting ). In a week's time with some sun or so, they will grow much much larger. On the sunnier side of this mountain face, in the past, we have also found "cepes", a type of mushroom that the Italians call "porcinis". I would rank wild trout stuffed with chanterelles, white wine, shallots & parsley right up there with drunken 2 a.m. Jack-in-the-Box food. Pretty dang good! (I would bet they can be found in the Sierras too)

Since the nasty weather made fishing a bust, we headed down the mountain to a little town called South Fork, to see if our favorites spots on the Rio Grande would be fishable. Not today...the normally pristine & gin clear cuthroat infested waters were like chocolate milk.

Today wasn't a complete bust for me. In search of some munchies, we randomnly stopped at a "supermarket" (Rainbow Supermarket), only to discover that half of the "supermarket" was a rather EXCELLENT tackle shop! I found stuff in there I never ever see elsewhere. I consider myself a wanton & depraved "Trout Tackle Ho", and yet, I never knew Pline made a high end set of swivels....I am most definately testing these suckers out the rest of the trip! By the way, they even sell Lip Ripperz there! Lots of locally made stuff too, which was cool.

I leave you with pics to tease your inner tackle-ho (yes, we all have a little "ho" in us. Some more than others.)

May tomorrow be a more fishy day.....though I am skeptical as I have to go to Durango manana for an errand, and I know for a fact the usually awesome Animas river is currently blown out.

(Tammy: the middle one, it's a kokanee. About average for the one particular lake were we fish for them (Williams Creek Res.)....they do get a bit bigger, but not by much. Usually caught deep jiggin or trollin deep. Soft mouth and not a particularly big fighter. One very tasty fish, especially smoked.)
    Last edited by sansou; 07-29-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Sansou you shure know your shrooms j/k

Looks like you are having an awesome trip Sansou, thanks for the "as you go" updates and reports! Enjoy the rest of your adventure...

TD

Wow! Awesome pictures Rich! Thanks for sharing them and the daily commentary. Hope the rest of your trip is great!

Renee

Hey Rich, you need any plumbing work done on the house? I can be up there in no time to help you out on that.
    Maybe you need some automotive work done too? Trolly could tag along with me and we could git er done for ya.....
    That is if you could keep us around long enough.

Great report and pics. From the pictures you don't need to tell me....you're having a great time aren't you.

Default fishing

Thanx for the up to the minute reports by cell phone.You are having a ball with your family.Love the pictures of wildlife and mushrooms.You didnt see timothy leary up there did you? Ching ling is another mushroom that i used to know about.lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast