Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TEAM 57 on board the Condor!

Default TEAM 57 on board the Condor!

July 19 I jumped on the Condor (Fisherman's landing) for a 1.5 dayer.

Accompanying me were 7 guys from Arizona, some of which were totally
    new to fishing, and others had never tuna-fished before.

I brought a total of 12 tuna setups for these guys, which was a particular pain in the butt the week prior as I had to get a few re-spooled and lubed up (some of these setups had not seen action in a very long time), and made a hook & weight packet for everyone except my buddy Scott (whom some of you on FNN have fished with before).

All in all it was a tough tuna bite for our boat.

90% of the fish came by way of jig-troll strikes. We ended up with only 23 passengers, but had a final albie count of approx 33, and a smattering of bluefin, yellowfin and a quick one time flurry of baby dorados. Everyone on the boat got at least one fish, which was nice.

I had a great time throughout the day coaching by buddy's father-in-law and father during the trip, in a desperate attempt to get them to experience a live-bait fish, as opposed to a jig fish. I fished a bit toward the end, and never got a strike at all on the yo-yo despite changing up colors and what-not.

I ended up with one solid albie on the slide with my new Kencor 800QNZ
    setup w/Avet SX (Thank you Kencor pro-staff for introducing this to
    me and for the hookup!!). Jackpot was a monsterous 46lber (on the
    digi), and quite a few other jig fish in the 40s. I'm not so sure fluoro
    would have made a difference on this trip, as nearly all bait fish were on the slide.

The usual colors worked for the jig-troll (but keep them jigs smallish), and as far as fishing the slide (which this boat encourages, unlike some others!!) the usual albie colors worked....though I did see one guy nail one on a bright green & red 6 inch plastic.

I would heartily reccomend the Condor, as the captain (Scott Meisel)
    and his crew are truly professionals that embrace the concept of
    friendly "customer service", and leave the tired old "macho crap" to other
    boats in the fleet. I always reserve staterooms where possible, and
    while their stateroom is a bit small, the advantage is that it is above deck
    and super convenient to access during the day.

Hopefully ya'll out there get a better shot at the BFT and YFT than I
    did this week. I think I won't be out in the big blue until Aug 16
    weekend.

Bluefin "Dan": it was a pleasure fishing with you! See you around!

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    All in all it was a tough tuna bite for our boat.
    ...but the up-shot is they weren't in Arizona. Jokes! (I kid because I love.)

How'd the first timers do on the pitching deck? Any sea-sickness? A heck of a way to break in the newcomers - with a tuna... it'll ruin 'em for anything else (and they'll never come to appreciate a wide-open tilapia bite.)

So, sashimi? BBQ? Tuna salad?

nice report and pictures. That new kencor looks great. a deckie on the city of long beach has a really nice kencor jig stick.I think i'm going to try to get one

Dang 12 tuna setups....you are a tackle ho. Oh wait I think I have that many too. I guess that makes me a tackle ho too....hahaha

Nice report and pics. Those are some nice size looking chickens.

Default Condor Trip with Sansou

Thank you Sansou, I enjoyed the trip as well. It was just like a lake out there, about 108 south of Pt. Loma. ALso met Wayne, 'Got Wasabi' screen name who posts on another bloody site (HA HA HA).

I got a small Albie about 18 lbs on the slide using a swim bait. My bigger albie ,32# and the yellowfin 30# were on the troll using a small jet head Mean Joe Green.

Thanks for the Gatorade, it helped the cramps I got in my arm after that troll albie.

The deck hands are very professional and courteous, skillfull when we got tangles.

DANNO

Thanks Sansou for your report. Me and a couple of friends are debating on a 1.5 or 2day this Sunday. This will be my first tuna trip. Have any advice? If I can just get one it will be well worth it..........................fish

Default Tuna tips

Use about 6 - feet of flourocarbon, pound test equal to your main line pound test. I have listend to the talk radio and flourocarbon does make a difference !!

1/0 & 2/0 hooks, I use Mustad 9174, 'J' hooks, trolling I recommend theZuchini ( Lawn Chair ) In the bright or sunny/cloudy sorta day, and the Mean Joe Green in the Gray, early morning. The shorter lures were working better than the biggar ones for Albacore.

Dark lures/feathers such as black purple in the gray and bright collors in the cloudy/sun like 2 to 5 PM.

DANNO

Congrats on the Albacore..Nice report and pics WTG!
    TROUT NINE

Those Albacore look good to me. Can't wait for the local action to improve. This is still June weather if you ask me...... We should fish together sometime Rich..........OFG

Hi sansou,

Wow quite the effort and responsibility !! I wouldn't do it !! Kudos to you !!

Great report and detail .... thank you much !!

JapanRon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast