Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drifting LB with Grannyfish, Mike and OFG

Default Drifting LB with Grannyfish, Mike and OFG

I was too tired on Sunday evening to do a report and real busy on Monday, so I'm late. Got a call from a friend (Oldfishergal from FNN) that she really wanted to get out and fish LB harbor on Sunday. She also called Granny and Mike. We decided to meet at the ramp at 6:30am. Both Tammy and I were late, but got there at the same time, 7am. We had our boats in the water and picking up bait within a half hour. First stop was a half mile in front of the queen's gate. Lot's of short bites and one butt a half inch short. My life's story. Too much boat traffic plus a jet ski race got us out of there. Next we headed to the west end of the center wall. Tried outside for Nada, so we moved in. Tons of little sharks. Nice fights on light line and spinning reels. After a few hours we headed over by Chaffee for some short bass action. All calicos, no sandies. Also a few hali and guitar fish bites. One of the guitar fish that OFG caught was about the biggest I've ever seen. I wonder how big they can get. Tammy even popped her cherry on her first Halibut. Short and tossed, but never the least a catch.

We finally left the water around 5pm. I've made a couple of changes on my bait tank and they seem to have worked. At the end of the day I only had less than 10 dead chovies in the bottom of the tank. That was after about 10 hours in an 8 gallon tank. I have no idea what time Mike and Tammy left. Between them and OFG, it was a fun day with great company.

For that day the water was between 63.3 to 65.7 depending on where you were. Wind was lite. We caught about 20 fish each with nothing kept. The fishing must have been bad for the moo moos. At 3 o'clock we saw the Toronado at anchor and fishing 50 yards from Nachos bait receiver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0313.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	5778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0305.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	5779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0312.JPG 
Views:	276 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	5780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0317.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	5781  

Thumbs up

Good times out on the salt with friends, sounds like a great way to spend the day! You'll get that legal hali next time!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bruce watson View Post
    Got a call from a friend (Oldfishergal from FNN).

I thought Chris was from the midwest? :p

Nice job put there guys! Congrats Chris on the SNGF...... and Tammy on the Hali!

Good job on the toothy beasties.

I fished Sunday from 12 to dark and saw the Tornado fishing inside the wall too. I thought it my be a special program for kids but, maybe not. We hit some spots near bolsa and out at the Horseshoe. Some sportfishers were out there. A beautiful day! just slow fishing. We did manage to get a few sandbass and some macs. kept a mac and put the rest back.

OlDfishergal? Had a great time drifting out there all day long. Caught tons of fish and didn't even bring one home. Musta caught at least 20....I know there were (3) sharks, 2 big guitars, lizard fish, couple bass, one ray, Bruce had that nice Hali..............1/2 inch short of legal.......he was thick and fat......tried to stretch him so could have some butt dinner, but wasn't meant to be. It was cold, cloudy in the morning. Sure was glad I had my Team 57 Hoodie to keep me warm......BTW Save G$ on the moo moo as we baited up..........How did you do G? Glad to see you. The Fishes are always fun to drift with. I know they caught lots too. Bruce it was a blast. I hope the fishing for legal size keepers picks up soon. I am in need of a fresh fish dinner. BTW< I am not old and not from the Midwest. I was found under a big ol rock at Burbank Community Hosp several years ago. I did live n the midwest during my college years (PU Perdue). Lived in Ky and Ga a couple years too, but I am a real calif native. Thanks for the great day Bruce, Mike, Tammy. Irs fun fishing with such classy peeps........till next time.....OFG

It was fun fishing with you both.

G$ sure was glad to see all of us. Hope his party boat had better luck than the one we seen anchored at Nachos.

Hi bruce watson,

Good job on boatmanship, fishin', and doin' up a nice report ! Gotta love it when in the skipper mode..... doin' it all .....and then some !!

thanks,

JapanRon

Nice job!!

Default Fishin

iT SURE IS FUN WITH ALL THAT ACTIVTY CATCHING FISH. gLAD ALL HAD A GOOD TIME.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast